Does God kill?

My mother and I, she is a protestant, debated whether or not God kills. I mentioned Onan. She said that’s OT. I said God never changes. She said Jesus changed things when he came. I said what’s that have to do with anything. What’s the church’s take on this? Did Jesus stop God from killing? She doesn’t believe God kills or takes life.

Bill

Ask her if anyone died during the Great Flood.

Malachi 3:6 “For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed.

Of course He does. Yes.
And he tells others to kill, too.

What about Annias and Saphira who lied to God about selling the field in Acts of the Apostles 5?
When Anani’as heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear came upon all who heard of it. (Acts 5:5)

Immediately she fell down at his feet and died. When the young men came in they found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her beside her husband. (Acts 5:10)*

Pretty brutal, and no one can argue that it is not in the New Testament.

-Tim-

yes God does kill people, and this is a reality and it still happens today. There are obviously many killings in Gods anger in the Old Testament, and this is very unpopular with people but it is still true today.

Judgment involves that sometimes for some reason. God says he will only tarry so long.

I told them about Acts 5. They don’t want to accept it. “Why would you live for a God that kills”, they said. Hard headed. Sola Scriptora all the way. Funny how some accept what they want to.

Hmm. Who do they say killed Ananias and Sapphira?

What denomination are your parents?

They have their own theology it seems. My mom said “The holy spirit.” I said that’s God. Then she said “It was sin the sin killed them.” I said don’t try to think like a human being. To us, this seems cruel. But God’s ways are not our ways. I tried to get her to understand. I think she thinks that I’m trying to be argumentative when I’m only trying to get her to think. What she’s saying is irrational to me. God does not change and she accepts that but says because of Jesus (for some reason) God doesn’t do this anymore. As said elsewhere in the thread Mal. was mentioned and God doesn’t change. Does the church have any teachings on this? Why this judgment is sometimes meeted out and why. I told her God only tarries with sin for so long. I read Acts 5 in NIV, KJV, and RSE-CE. All say about the same.

Pentecostals basically left wing protestants.

Pretty brutal to us, yes. But to God evidently not. His ways are above ours.

It makes me wonder why this is not more widely spoken about? I went to catholic school up until 7th grade and NOT ONCE, did I hear about the many times when God caused the deaths of others, or instructed people to go kill other people, sometimes entire towns! It seems to me they just cherry pick the good stuff and leave out the stuff they dont want to talk about, that topic, the Nephilim, nature of Satan and his fallen angels, etc.

That topic is for a separate thread.

Yeesh, that’s rough. Pentecostalism is about as far from Catholicism as a Christian can get.

Yep, that’s what I figured. Although it’s true that ‘sin kills,’ given the Scriptural witness, nevertheless this is a reference to the fact that sin leads us to the eternal death of hell; Scripture doesn’t tell us that sin takes our (human) life.

If she really believes that sin causes human death, then she needs to deal with the notion that God is capricious – that is, that in a few cases, God allows sin to lead to human death, but in others, sin does not take our human life. Is God inconsistent? Of course not!

On the other hand, if God is not inconsistent, then shouldn’t every sin take our human life? After all, this was a case of bearing false witness; is she claiming that every offense against the Ten Commandments is paid for with our human life? :eek:

Well I know that they say that masturbation is why God killed Onan. But most people don’t die from masturbation or God like he did. I have always thought because he had a very close relationship with God, much moreso than us God was especailly offended. She quotes “The wages of sin is death.”

Actually, according to Genesis 38, Onan was killed because he refused to do his filial duty to his brother’s wife, Tamar, to whom he was obliged to provide a son (who would then be considered his late brother’s son, for the sake of inheritance). Instead, he simply used Tamar physically, making certain that she would not conceive through their intercourse.

I have always thought because he had a very close relationship with God, much moreso than us God was especailly offended. She quotes “The wages of sin is death.”

Hmm… Onan was especially close to God? Onan, who was the second son of Judah by a Canaanite woman? Hmm… :hmmm:

And yes, “the wages of sin is death”. But here, Paul is contrasting ‘death’ to ‘eternal life.’ In other words, he’s talking about the fact that Christ has saved us from eternal damnation with His sacrifice that brings us eternal life. The wages of sin – what we ‘earn’ from sin – is eternal punishment; but that doesn’t mean that sin literally kills us on the spot, like it killed Ananias and Sapphira in Acts… :wink:

What do you think about sickness? Does God put such things on people so they will repent?

Wait, this is your mother! Why are you arguing with your mother???

Stop arguing with your mother and just love and honor her. Be a perfect son and show her what love is. Forget about this nonsense argument about whether God kills or not. The argument is from the devil.

Be Christ. Love mom. That’s it.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.