Does God limit one's ability to understand Faith issues?

In that Faith is a Goft of God’s grace; does it follow that God limits some people RIGHT understanding of His Teachings?

No. If God did do this it would take away our free will. God gives everyone Grace to get to Heaven, whether that person uses it or not is completely up to him/her. It could be pride that holds people back from truly understanding his teaching.

God Bless!

I think He gives it to us in little doses, like crumbs on the pathway of our journey. If He gave it to us all at once our heads would explode. One crumb leads to another slightly more intricate crumb that makes us want to continue.

Matthew chap 7

e “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.f
For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.g
Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread,*
or a snake when he asks for a fish?
If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him.h

Will God deny us that which will get us to Heaven? Certainly not!

Looking at theology I get the impression it is an evolving entity over time. That and having the occasional Saint like Padre Pio seems to offer a lot of insight into how things work.

[BIBLEDRB]Exodus 9:12[/BIBLEDRB]

Certainly seems to me that poor Pharaoh’s faith in God was hindered by God himself.

Which Pharaoh believed in the One True God, of Abraham, Isaac, and Moses? :slight_smile:

=vincent10395;11347571]No. If God did do this it would take away our free will. God gives everyone Grace to get to Heaven, whether that person uses it or not is completely up to him/her. It could be pride that holds people back from truly understanding his teaching.

God Bless!

Thanks for your input.

I understand your point, but don’t see it’s logic:shrug:

With this position everyone would have the same “I.Q” too as well as the same degree of understanding. :slight_smile:

=empther;11347741]Matthew chap 7

Will God deny us that which will get us to Heaven? Certainly not!

I agree with you; HOWEVER that was not my question:blush:

I asked if for ANY reason God’s witholds RIGHT understanding:)

=CareBearous;11348167][BIBLEDRB]Exodus 9:12[/BIBLEDRB]

Certainly seems to me that poor Pharaoh’s faith in God was hindered by God himself.

ahh!:smiley:

Now were getting somewhere:thumbsup:

THANKS,
Patrick

=Michael57;11348307]Which Pharaoh believed in the One True God, of Abraham, Isaac, and Moses? :slight_smile:

True, but is it relevant to this conversation?

How many of them did God perform miracles for to aid their understanding?

This was a period when man was “under he Law” Judgment; LONG before they were under GRACE as are we:)

=SinnersAnonymus;11347778]Looking at theology I get the impression it is an evolving entity over time. That and having the occasional Saint like Padre Pio seems to offer a lot of insight into how things work.

a Very nice responce:)

But somewhat evasive too.

It seems to skirt my precise question:) Does GOD choose to limit one’s ABILITY to understand FOR ANY REASON [thats a hint]:thumbsup:

[quote]Quote:
=CareBearous;11348167]
Exodus 9:12 (Douay Rheims)

12 And the Lord hardened Pharao’s heart, and he hearkened not unto them, as the Lord had spoken to Moses.

Show with Knox Bible :: New Jerusalem Bible :: Latin Vulgate :: Haydock Commentary
Bible passage courtesy of VeritasBible.com

ahh!

Now were getting somewhere

[/quote]

The quote only indicates that God allowed Pharaoh to harden his heart,not that he forced Pharaoh to be like this. This is in line with the old idea that everything that happens is God’s will, which is often misinterpreted.
Since it is God’s will that the Hebrews leave Egypt, why didn’t God soften Pharaoh’s heart?
( God could have opened the Red Sea even without Pharaoh’s chariots chasing the Hebrews and so provide a spectacular miracle to show the people his power. :smiley: And so on. As Ramses indicated in The Ten Commandments movie, the ten plagues might have all been natural phenomena. So this ambiguity reflects God’s NOT determining Pharaoh’s decisions. )

However, :eek:

Exodus chap 7:
First Plague: Water Turned into Blood.*
*Then the LORD said to Moses: Pharaoh is obstinate **in refusing to let the people go.

So God himself says Pharaoh’s attitude is Pharaoh’s own fault.

catholic.com/blog/trent-horn/why-did-god-harden-pharaohs-heart

Well do you believe that it takes away free will or not?

To few it is given to understand, that EVERYTHING remains to be understood.

Vincent’s reference
catholic.com/blog/trent-h…pharaohs-heart

makes it clear that God hardened Pharaoh’s heart by withdrawing the grace Pharaoh rejected. And so, Pharaoh hardened himself.

When we read that God hardened Pharaoh’s heart, it is an easy mistake to assume that God did something to Pharaoh in order to cause Pharaoh’s heart to become stubborn and “hard.” But you can cause something to become hard just by leaving it alone, such as when bread is left out on the counter. It seems that God hardened Pharaoh’s heart by removing what little presence of his grace that was in Pharaoh’s heart in the first place. Pharaoh had his chance to peacefully release the Israelites, but he ignored God’s warnings and hardened his heart. This description of events, as some commenters have noted, preserves God’s sovereignty. God is not thwarted by Pharaoh’s obstinacy but has providentially foreseen it and uses it for the good of his people.

So if the person rejects the presence of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit leaves and the person is on his own.

:thumbsup: It is a mistake to accept every interpretation of events in the Old Testament as Gospel truth!

=vincent10395;11350414]Well do you believe that it takes away free will or not?

NO:D Of course not.

PART of the answer has to do with HOW one chooses to use that very “freewill”:thumbsup:

God Bless you!
Patrick

Okay well how can God limit a person’s ability to understand without tampering with their free will?

God Bless you too!:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.