Does God love Satan?

Just had this random thought today. They are now eternal enemies, but hate and discord come from Satan, you could say he invented it. God is love…so, does God still love the devil as one of His creations, despite everything?

“redroses” This is a profound question. I wouldn’t even hazard a reply. Because it is way over my head.

Sounds like a question for Fr. Serpa. Have you considered posting this in the Apologetics Forum?

God bless you, dear soul.

Would you stop loving your children even if they were murderers? Would you approve of their wrong doings? Would you accept the fact that they rather choose jail or being killed than being with you?

I think you are on the right track here.

I actually think this question is sort of irrelevant. Satan is never going to change, he is always going to be in rebellion against God. But there are certain verses in the Bible that can give us an idea:

“These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.” —Proverb 6:16-19

“Let those who love the LORD hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.” Ps 97:10

Just as Christ is love personified, Satan is evil personified. And we know that God definitely hates evil. We know that Satan’s entire purpose in his existence is to destroy what God has created. So putting that all together I would say that God “hates” Satan, but just as God loves in a way very differently from the human way of love, so I am sure that “hate” means something much different to him than it does to us.

Mary

That says it all…

Did not Jesus Christ himself state for us to love our enemies for what good are you if you only love those who love you.

Satan is the enemy of Jesus Christ, God.

Having said that, one can still “love” so to speak one’s enemy but fight him in his sin and evil and despise his works and deeds and nature. Jesus did fight Satan for 40 days in the desert. God said Satan would be thrown into the Lake of Fire for his iniquity. Love does not mean that God can’t punish the devil severely. Love and punishment are not mutually exclusive. And there is no way God loves Satan’s rebellion, but condemns him as the Father of All Liars. Christ died on the cross for us humans not the devil and Christ must condemn the Devil.

My late night 2 cents.

well, actually some parents DO stop LIKING their children… but never loving… (well, there are even exceptions to that obviously)…

i certainly don’t love satan…

we are put on Earth to fight him and his lies…

not as easy as it sounds…

which is why so many end up in Hell… according to Jesus… and the saints… :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.