Does God plan who will be born, what disabilities a person has, etc..?

Does God plan who will be born, what disabilities a person has, etc…?

You often here “God has a plan for you.” This doesn’t really make since if, say, two unmarried people had a child. It was there immoral choice, resulting with a child, so this can’t mean God planned it. In other words, God doesn’t plan who is born, correct? Nor does he “plan” what gifts/talents we will be born with? Or even the disabilities we will be born with?

I’m really confused. :yup:

God’s providence watches over and guides everything: “No creature is invisible before Him: all are bare and uncovered to His eyes” (Hebrews 4:13). His wisdom “extends from end to end mightily and governs all well” (Wisdom 8:1).

God guides us, but is it correct to thank God for our existence and talents to an extreme?

Focus: Does God plan who will be born, what disabilities a person has, etc…? …And even when someone will die?

God allow things to happen. But you’re condusing that with “fate” which isn’t what God is about. God has a plan for everyone but that doesn’t mean you’ll follow that plan. God may set up your life in such a way that you’ll be more receptive to the plan he has for you. For example, you may be born with some sort of great intellectual skill. God may have given you this skill because he is calling you to teach or cure cancer…but instead you use that skill to construct biological weapons. you didn’t exactly follow his plan. Everyone has some sort of obstacle physical or otherwise, most people over come it, others don’t. I mean, how man people do you know that need glasses? Or take some sort of prescription medication. They may have these disabilities, but they still manage to live life. God doesn’t do anything that may interfere with our free will so he lets things that men do happen.

There may be a link to foreknowledge and “predestination” in this question, if you will. I think Naztakuan put it pretty well.

If we have free will, which we do, we don’t necessarily have to follow his plan for us…although at times he intercedes to steer us in the right direction.

"God guides us, but is it correct to thank God for our existence and talents to an extreme? "

Such thanks cannot be overdone!

John 9

1As Jesus walked along, he saw a man who had been blind since birth. 2Jesus’ disciples asked, "Teacher, why was this man born blind? Was it because he or his parents sinned?“
3"No, it wasn’t!” Jesus answered. "But because of his blindness, you will see God work a miracle for him.

Psalm 139:14
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Job 10:11
clothe me with skin and flesh and knit me together with bones and sinews?

Psalm 139:13
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

Even though man and woman get together to contribute the sperm and egg, it is God who is the creator of that new life, only God can infuse the soul into the new being. So, yes God would have some degree of determining who is made how. If you read the anti-abortion literature you can only come out with the conclusion that God does determine who is born with what disablities.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.