Does God really answer all prayers?

I was reading another thread, and someone had said that God answers all prayers, even though sometimes we can’t see how they are answered or understand the answer. From a theological perspective, is it really true that all prayers are answered? This doesn’t seem right. Think of Job crying out to God all that time, and none of his prayers were answered. Things just get worse for him until the very end of the book of Job, when God finally replaces what he had lost. What if the prayer is for something superficial? Are only good prayers answered? What is a good prayer? What should we ask for, and what should we not? If I am lonely, should I pray for acceptance and endurance, or should I pray for friends? or both? I am just curious and I’d like some different perspectives. Thanks!

Sometimes the answer is “no!” :slight_smile:

I would say sometimes the answer is, “Not what you want, but what you need.” No prayer goes to waste, on that you can rely. And Job is a good example, his prayers were answered but according to God’s plan for Job.

Is there any way to distinguish a “no” answer from no answer at all?

This is what I’m wondering too.

God answers every prayer. There are three ways God can answer a prayer:

Yes
No
Please wait

Is there any way of distinguishing between No and Please Wait?

If you have faith God will do all things that are in His will.

The question is not yes or no, but what is His will versus what is our will.

I also would not say that God did not answer Job’s prayers. Job’s plight was specifically allowed by God to demonstrate Job’s innocence. It was very similar to the saints’ trial by fire.

Usually you find out how God answered your prayers in hindsight. Although I’ve found if you want to see immediate results… pray the Rosary! Everyday. :yup: Sorry. :crying:

I firmly believe that no prayer is ever a waste of time. God knows when we pray with a sincere heart. A friend of mine once told me that God only gives 3 answers when we ask for something: Yes, not yet or I have something better in store for you. I think we should ask God for whatever it is we are in need of. But He already knows. Trusting in His will is most important to remember. Never stop praying!

Just my humble :twocents: here… but I think sometimes, we feel that God isn’t answering our prayers, because:

1.) Our specific request wasn’t granted…

2.) Our specific request hasn’t been granted in the way WE wanted… (Example: maybe we asked for help, getting a newer car; instead we were given the funds to get our old car fixed).

3.) Instead of things getting “better”… they seem to get “worse”.

But I truly believe, in my heart of hearts… despite any of the above happening… that Our Good Lord DOES hear all of our prayers.

I also believe that Our Lord values our faith in Him, very much. Our faith is precious to Him. And when we have faith in Him, no matter what happens… it will gain immense merit for us, in Heaven. Faith is really important.

So… even if you feel that God isn’t answering your prayers… have faith, dear brothers and sisters that He DOES hear us and knows the right steps to take for our well-being.

God bless.

Maybe God does not answers all prayers.

From the Diary of St. Maria Faustina: Divine Mercy in My Soul

#958. Some days ago, a certain person came to me and asked me to pray for her intention, as she had some urgent and important business. All of a sudden, I felt in my soul that this matter was not pleasing to God, and I replied that I would not pray for this intention, “but I will pray for you, in general” *. A few days later, this lady came back to me and thanked me for not having prayed for her intention, but rather for her, because she had been motivated by a spirit of revenge towards a certain person to whom she owed respect and veneration in the virtue of the fourth commandment. The Lord Jesus had changed her interior [dispositions], and she herself acknowledged her guilt; but was, however, surprised that I had penetrated her secret. * saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS20.shtml

St. Padre Pio:

[quote]
The Lord only allows me to recall those persons and things He wants me to remember. On several occasions, our merciful Lord has suggested to me people whom I have never known or even heard of, for the sole purpose of having me present them to Him and intercede for them, whereupon He never fails to answer my poor, feeble prayers. On the other hand, when Jesus doesn’t want to answer me, he makes me actually forget to pray for those persons for whom I had firmly decided and intended to pray.

padrepiodevotions.org/index.asp?pagename=wordsoffaith

Maybe God hears all prayers, but perhaps the closer united that one is with Christ, the more likely one is to understand what God’s will is regarding each individual prayer. It might be important to seek a greater union with the will of the Father, to ask him/beg him to give the graces necessary to follow his will.

From the Diary of St. Maria Faustina, Divine Mercy in My Soul

#1150 … Let every soul beg for the help of actual grace, as sometimes ordinary grace is not enough…

saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS23.shtml

Perhaps you might need to kick up your prayer life, maybe a Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, and Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. James 5:1-20 might give you the graces that you need.

One might also try reading the Confessions of St. Augustine. St. Augustine prayed “O Lord, give chastity, but do not give it yet!” Thinking about him, who slept with a woman while she was unmarried and had an illegitimate child who later died but was still blessed by Christ to become one of the Doctors of the Catholic Church and to chair the Synod of Hippo, where the canon of the Bible was declared, gives me hope that God will help me through my own weaknesses and forgive my own sins. **Confessions of St. Augustine ** newadvent.org/fathers/1101.htm

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *
[/quote]

Daily praying through Mary, the Mother of the Word, especially the Rosary and the Chaplet of Seven Sorrows is extraordinarily helpful. Two reasons why: Mary enriches our merits with her own, which are much greater than our own, and it is more humble to go through an intermediary. The two best instructional readings I know of on the concept of praying through Mary are by St. Louis Mary Grignon de Montfort:
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html

One might also reflect on the sufferings of Our Lady and her own loneliness in life to better understand her: On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors

Right now, I am go through severe trials, and this passage of Scripture helps me. :thumbsup:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith. For the sake of the joy that lay before him he endured the cross, despising its shame, and has taken his seat at the right of the throne of God.
Consider how he endured such opposition from sinners, in order that you may not grow weary and lose heart.
In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood. You have also forgotten the exhortation addressed to you as sons: "My son, do not disdain the discipline of the Lord or lose heart when reproved by him; for whom the Lord loves, he disciplines; he scourges every son he acknowledges."
Endure your trials as “discipline”; God treats you as sons. For what “son” is there whom his father does not discipline?
If you are without discipline, in which all have shared, you are not sons but bastards.
Besides this, we have had our earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them. Should we not (then) submit all the more to the Father of spirits and live?
They disciplined us for a short time as seemed right to them, but he does so for our benefit, in order that we may share his holiness.
At the time, all discipline seems a cause not for joy but for pain, yet later it brings the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who are trained by it.
So strengthen your drooping hands and your weak knees.
Make straight paths for your feet, that what is lame may not be dislocated but healed.
Strive for peace with everyone, and for that holiness without which no one will see the Lord. Hebrews 12:4-14

And, it tends to help me if I accept my sufferings when they come and imitate St. Maria Faustina, “Jesus, I endure this for you!” That way I know that at least they are not being wasted and they are contributing to the salvation of mankind.

Hopefully, I will get a chance to pray for you today. :slight_smile: So, perhaps if I had a recommendation to you to grow closer to the will of God,

1. deeply strengthen your prayer life and frequent the healing sacraments of the Church to the best of your ability such as Daily Mass and Confession
  2. struggle intensely, in warrior-life way, with tremendous effort to cut all occurrences of sin for your life - recognizing that after the Crucifixion (death) is the Resurrection
  3. join a prayer group to pray more powerfully and for the intentions of the Church (According to the Secret of the Rosary, group prayer is much more powerful than individual prayer). Daily Mass often has a rosary group preceding it. St. Maximilian Maria villages (miyouth.org and consecration.com) meet together for prayer and fellowship. The Legion of Mary legionofmary.org/ may also do the same
  4. it is my experience that hard-core Catholics who participate in the group prayer life for the Church, study the readings of the Saints, and volunteer at Soup Kitchens and pro-life ministries are wonderfully kind, loving, and generous people, maybe more so than the Catholic community as a whole with lukewarm sinners like myself. You might also read Christian books to learn how to make friends. :slight_smile:

**P.S. Job might just resemble Jesus **

P.P.S. I’m sorry and greatly apologize if this message is too long, I can try to cut it down or post in smaller bits if you can’t follow all of it. I just didn’t want to omit any important points or recommendations. :confused: :o :confused:

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.