Does God See Inside My Heart?

HI Everyone. So nice to find a group that is sincere in their faith life. I have a question that perhaps someone can relate to or help me find an answer to. Thanks for reading my post.
After having my first marriage annuled 15 yrs ago, a family Episcopalian Priest married me to a non catholic man I dated for almost 3 yrs. Now, however, I have a heavy heart and would like to go back to mass after 4 plus years of not consistently going, but I am fearful I will be told I cannot partake of communion unless I get our marriage blessed by a Catholic Priest. Here is the struggle. My husband is not a religious person (not been baptised at all) and it doesn’t make much sense to him. He is one of the most honest men of integrity I have ever known. Problem is, I think of this daily and am worried that this horrible uneasy, guilty feeling, is my punishment for marrying a non catholic?? It is so confusing, since it truly seems as though God sent my husband to me. He is my rock and treats me like a princess but just doesn’t have the faith. He is happy I do, however, and has told me he is glad I “put a word in for him” when I pray. I have been so tempted to confess to being intimate with my husband every week, and then go to Mass, including communion, until I finally get the union blessed, but does not that seem a bit arrogant? I feel I truly have sincere intentions, I love my husband, but I long to completely partake of Mass and want/need to, but my soul feels uneasy with the situation. I pray that God has a lot of patience with me…
Any suggestions, or words of wisdom would be so appreciated!
Love and Peace
Rella Bella
Thx for the help.

Have you ever talked to the priest about your situation? In my opinion it’s the right thing to start.
Will pray for you. God bless

Problem is, I think of this daily and am worried that this horrible uneasy, guilty feeling, is my punishment for marrying a non catholic??

God doesn’t punish people in this way.

Have you talked to your husband about this? If he is the wonderful man you say he is, he may be willing to have the marriage convalidated for your peace of mind, even though he is not a believer. (My husband does not believe in God, but he was happy to be married in the Catholic Church because he knew it was important to me. Many non-Catholics get married in the Catholic Church for the sake of their spouse.)

It does not have to be a major affair, with gown, tux, flowers, reception, etc. All you need is a brief ceremony with a Catholic priest or deacon and two witnesses.

If your husband is unwilling to do this, there is another option. Please read this article catholic.com/thisrock/1995/9504qq.asp about “radical sanation,” a way of having your marriage convalidated in the Church without a ceremony. Then talk to your priest about it.

I have been so tempted to confess to being intimate with my husband every week, and then go to Mass, including communion, until I finally get the union blessed, but does not that seem a bit arrogant?

I don’t know if I would call it arrogant, but it would not be a valid sacramental confession if you intend to commit the same sin again. One of the necessary conditions for receiving absolution in the sacrament of Reconciliation is that you have contrition (sincere sorrow for your sins), which includes that you must fully intend not to commit the sin again. If you go to confession fully intending to do the same thing again, your sins are not forgiven.

This is too important to put off. Talk to your husband about it if you have not already done so, then talk to a priest.

God bless you as you follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit to make things right!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.