Does God send people little signs about things?

For example, does he make it so that you hear a specific song on the radio at just the right moment when you were thinking about something as a sign that everything is going to be okay? Because that’s what I think may have happened to me.

To elaborate, there is this girl that I have praying a lot about and have been having strong hopes is the one for me, and one day, while I was thinking about her, I heard a song on the radio that I had once danced to with her. I took that as a sign. The following day, I was thinking about her again, and then I heard another song that we had once danced to, I don’t really listen to the radio that much, so hearing these two songs, on two consecutive days, in the same order that we had danced to them, while I was thinking about her had to be more than just a coincidence. Has anyone else ever had an experience like this?

On the basis of what you’ve written here, I think it’s more likely that you’re smitten with this girl and that’s why things frequently remind you of her.

Vice providing “signs”…I believe that the more precise and spiritual word is “virtues”…which if they are from God the Holy Spirit…will always be in the form of one of the Four Cardinal Virtues.

Catechism of the Catholic Church 1805 Four virtues play a pivotal role and accordingly are called "cardinal"; all the others are grouped around them. They are: prudence, justice, fortitude, and temperance. “If anyone loves righteousness, [Wisdom’s] labors are virtues; for she teaches temperance and prudence, justice, and courage.” These virtues are praised under other names in many passages of Scripture.

Catechism of the Catholic Church 1806 Prudence is the virtue that disposes practical reason to discern our true good in every circumstance and to choose the right means of achieving it; “the prudent man looks where he is going.” “Keep sane and sober for your prayers.” Prudence is “right reason in action,” writes St. Thomas Aquinas, following Aristotle. It is not to be confused with timidity or fear, nor with duplicity or dissimulation. It is called auriga virtutum (the charioteer of the virtues); it guides the other virtues by setting rule and measure. It is prudence that immediately guides the judgment of conscience. The prudent man determines and directs his conduct in accordance with this judgment. With the help of this virtue we apply moral principles to particular cases without error and overcome doubts about the good to achieve and the evil to avoid.

From these Four Cardinal Virtues…God the Holy Spirit fine tunes and inspires us with His Seven Gifts: He gives them to us for one and only one purpose…to follow…Our Lord Jesus’ call to take up our cross and to follow him to Calvary (remember true love is always sacrificial…giving of one self without counting the cost…all for the greater good of the “other”…and the more true and complete this total giving of oneself…the greater the joy…no matter what sufferings or sacrifices are involved).

Catechism of the Catholic Church **1831 The seven *gifts *of the Holy Spirit are wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord. They belong in their fullness to Christ, Son of David. They complete and perfect the virtues **of those who receive them. They ***make the faithful docile in readily obeying divine inspirations. *** Let your good spirit lead me on a level path. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God . . . If children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ.

Lastly…and probably most importantly, is to have your inspiration validated and/or confirmed. Asking us is a good first step…but take it to a spiritual guidance director…a priest or deacon…a religious or your confessor. You must also remember that obedience and docility to those who the Holy Spirit uses to guide you…is critical.

Pax Christi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.