Does 'God the Son' = 'Son of God' ?

I say yes … but, some may chose to disagree.

Jesus preferred to call himself "Son of Man’, yet he did not deny the title ‘Son of God’ … when the question was put to him.

Did [would] Jesus also answer affirmatively to the title ‘God the Son’ ?

‘God the Son’ does not equal ‘Son of God’, since many have been called ‘Sons of God’ besides Jesus.

However, in Christian theology, ‘God the Son’ and ‘Son of God’ are usually synonymous.

Interesting question.

I think in another language it might work, but in English (as with many phrases and terms) it presents some problems. We know that the Son represents the fullness of God, but we also know that the Son is the second Person within the Being of God. While “Son of God” make sense, as Christ is the Son and the Son is sent by the Father, “God the Son” almost sounds too much like the Son is not just the Person within the Trinity but the Being of God entire - in other words, a Unitarian theology with Christ at the helm.

I hope that makes sense. Just some thoughts on the subject.

Did not Christ say “I and the Father are ONE” ??

Isn’t the Trinitarian concept based upon ONE Being … in 3 persons ?

Except … God ‘the’ Son isn’t the same as God ‘a’ Son … as your ‘one among many’ idea conveys.

Yes, I said all that:

[quote=Byzantine_Wolf]We know that the Son represents the fullness of God, but we also know that the Son is the second Person within the Being of God.
[/quote]

What I meant was that the phrase hinted at the following idea, which I put in my original response:

[quote=Byzantine_Wolf]…in other words, a Unitarian theology with Christ at the helm.
[/quote]

Yes. One divine nature. Three divine persons. Each person possesses wholly and entirely the one divine nature. We distinguish the persons as God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, with the understanding that the term “God” in each phrase is unitary–the same one divine nature being predicated of each Person.

Actually, the phrase “Son of God,” could more accurately be rendered as “Son of the Father” or “the Word of God,” since the Person of the Son proceeds by generation from the Father.

“God the Son” is just as valid as “God the Father”. And the reason Jesus referred to Himself as “the Son of Man” is called “progressive revelation”. For example, I think it was Fr. WiIlliam Most who said something like: Can you imagine if Jesus went up before the people on the first day of His ministry and declared, “Before Abraham was, I AM!” :smiley:

Here are some scriptures for you to ponder

Gen6:2That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
Gen.6:4There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
Job 1:6Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
Job 2:1Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
Job 38:7When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
Hosea 1:10Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.
John 1:12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Romans 8:14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
Galations 4:6And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father
Philippians 2:15That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
1John3:1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
1John 3:2Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

The term son of God can be used in the bible to designate anyone who follows the one true God. Romans 8:14 says if you are led by God’s Spirit you are the son of God.

God the Son = Son of God

The former emphasises that the Son is God and the latter emphasise who He is the Son of. Since each Person is God, the Father is God, and since the Father is God, the Son is the Son of God, becuase He is the Son of the Father. As the Creed says: God from God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.