Does God want us to accept our lot in life?

The Old Testament has bits of God telling His people how to treat their slaves, even separating the parents from their children I believe.

It also shows that Job suffered from a lot of things, not because of his sins, but basically…because God has a bigger view than what we see sometimes. That’s not to say that He doesn’t care, but that pain and suffering amount to something more than failure and despair.

Would you say that while God is a personal and loving God, He’s not promising us a perfect, or even physically healthy and fair life, but that regardless of the lot we’re given, we’re to trust and know that He is our God and His love never fails, and it won’t fail to work for our benefit, even if that benefit is more spiritual (like virtues) than physical (like health)?

The ultimate benefit or good is an eternal existence of sheer, inexhaustible happiness with God in the next life. Meanwhile we live in exile from Him, so to speak, in a pigsty relatively speaking, where both good and evil are known, where the sun rises and the rain falls on the good and bad alike. And yet its a world where we can find Him in the midst of the worst of circumstances. We’re here to gain knowledge of God, to come to know of His goodness and of our indisputable need for Him; the Kingdom is the goal, not personal fulfillment, etc. I like the serenity prayer:

**God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

We are here to know, love, and serve the Lord so that we may one day reign with him eternally in Heaven. Sometimes that includes unfairness, bad things or bad people, but ultimately, it is our responsibility to show people Jesus by our example regardless of the circumstances. We should take joy in our sufferings just like the apostles.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, 17 pray constantly, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you

Yes, but that does not mean that we cannot pray that God will take our sufferings from us. Remember Christ’s prayer in the Garden:

Luke 22: 41-42 After withdrawing about a stone’s throw from them and kneeling, he prayed,
saying, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me; still, not my will but yours be done.

We can also use his gifts to work towards improving our condition. (Always seeking to follow God’s will, of course.) We can get an education, seek medical care, obtain counseling, look for better employment, etc. Sometimes we fail to see that God provided teachers, doctors, counsellors, and other gifted persons to provide for our needs. Our error is in forgetting to thank God for the help we receive.

:thumbsup:

I was just today reading Fulton Sheen’s book Guide to Contentment. Here is a quote: “Acceptance… Is quite different from resignation. Resignation is passive, namely a gritting ones teeth and bearing with it. Accepting suffering, disease and bereavement doesn’t mean taking pleasure in them or steeling oneself against them or hoping that time will soften them. It means offering them to God so they can bring forth fruit”

:thumbsup:

Yes, I would say that you have exactly hit the nail on the head!:slight_smile: Whatever our lot in life, we are important to God. God loves the lowliest of his creation. Often the sick, ugly and disabled shine a light much more profound than the healthiest, most beautiful and perfect.

Speak kindly I totally agree with you.
Bear in mind that the first task the apostles were given, was to heal the sick. Nowadays there is still many ways God uses the saints as an instrument to heal the sick, St. Hildegard of Bingen who was canonized last year, received many remedies for both body and soul. Don’t forget that health in itself has no value tough. We have to consider everything in an eternal perspective.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.