Does Gode still listen to people who are in a state of mortal sin?

Hello. Does anyone have any personal experiences that I can use as undeniable proof that God still listens to people who are in a state of mortal sin? For months I have been praying about a personal matter that means a lot to me. Lately I have felt very confident that God could here me and that he would help me.

This week we have been having our floors varnished. Yesterday, I was home alone, stuck in a back room for several hours with no access to TV or Computer. So, I masturbated. I did it full well knowing it was a mortal sin. I really felt that God could here me before this happened, but now I feel like I may have botched things and that he’ll stop listening to me. I’m going go to confession today. Everyone tells me that God will never stop listening to me no matter what, and that’s what I’d like to believe, but I can be kind of superstitious and scrupulous about this kind of thing. I would just like some undeniable proof that God is still listening to me.

The fact that you have the compunction to go to confession proves that the Lord is still listening to you. This is a very tough addiction to overcome and most men, regardless of their state in life, are challenged by it.

God only stops listening to you when you die in the state of mortal sin. Until then, as the psalm says “The Lord hears the cry of the poor…” meaning the cry of those trapped in sin.

Get to confession as soon as you fall into grievous sin and pray fervently for the grace to avoid its near occasion.

You need to stop thinking of God as being (1) exactly like a human being in every way including a tendency to be passive-aggressive and (2) preoccupied with rules and regulations to the point of being an annoying jerk.

To drive home my point: first, how do you know that this particular sin was mortal in the first place? Don’t you know that there are factors known only to God that can disqualify something from being actually mortal without you knowing it? Study your catechism! Secondly, if God really stops “listening” to you once you commit a mortal sin, then how will he hear your repentance?

I’m fairly certain that this is a mortal sin, because the three factors have been met. First, it is a grave matter. Second, it was done with full knowledge. Third, it was with full consent of the will. There are other matters which can lessen its culpability, of course, but we can’t presume upon God’s mercy. We could stretch these “extraordinary circumstances” to make an argument that no one can commit a mortal sin because anyone who do so would be under the control of their passions, and hence without full use of their reason, but that would be absurd and dangerous. There’s no sense in playing fast and loose with our souls just to give ourselves the greatest leeway. If you sin in any grave matter, mortal or not, go to Confession and do penance. When in doubt (unless you’re seriously scrupulous), assume the worst and be safe.

To the OP: God always hears is and is concerned about us. However, when in mortal sin, our souls are dead. We are unable to do any meritorious act, and the only grace which we receive is to lead us to contrition (or attrition, at the very least), and to Confession. In this sense, God hears us and is open to us; but he will not supply us with his grace to live a supernatural life and, after death, attain to the Beatific Vision, if we are in mortal sin. We’ve made ourselves partners with Satan in doing what is evil, and until we emerge from that darkness through Confession, we will not be united in any way with God.

In my opinion, there is no ‘sweet poison’. No sin is ‘right’. We call some ‘trivial’ and some ‘mortal’ but every sin is a sin. If you kill your brother, it is a far greater sin than slapping your brother before man. However, before God in heaven, every sin is a sin. The most important thing is that; God in heaven is able to forgive all sins no matter the gravity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.