Does Greek have another word for ''remembrance'' besides anamnesis?

I know one argument for the Eucharist being a sacrifice is the fact that he used the word ‘‘anamnesis’’ to describe it, which is only used in Scripture in a sacrificial context. Specifically it refers to a memorial offering.

What I’m wondering is if there are any other words in Greek that mean ‘‘remembrance’’ that don’t have a sacrificial undertone that Jesus could have used instead? This would make the argument from anamnesis a lot stronger in my mind, but I don’t know if it’s true. I’m a little rusty on my Greek and was hoping someone here might know.

Thanks.

There’s mnaomai (“remember”), and similarly, there’s mimnesko (“actively (or purposefully) remember / bring to mind”) – see Hebrews 13:3.

In a slightly different connotation, there’s “remembering because someone has prompted that recollection in a person” – hupomimnesko, which is found a number of times (e.g., Luke 22:61, John 14:26).

On the other hand, if you want to see the two concepts in proximity, take a look at 1 Cor 11. In v2, Paul mentions that the Corinthians “remember me in everything” (μέμνησθε) and then, in v24 and v25, speaking of the Eucharist, he says “do this in remembrance of me” (ἀνάμνησιν). So, the two terms are distinct and have particular meanings, even if we use a single word in English to translate the two Greek words…

Awesome. That’s what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.