Does having had an abortion prevent one from becoming a Catholic?

Hi,
I have a question that is heavily weighing in my heart. Let me start by saying that I was a fundamentalist baptist for the past ten years since the age of 27. Now thanks to the blessings of authors such as David B. Currie and Thomas Merton I am being led by the Holy Spirit to become Catholic. I am so happy in the truth that has been revealed to me but there is one problem.
My wife of 13 years wants to convert which is a necessity, and it took some convincing to get her to leave our former church. Seeing how we left our friends and a comfortable environment for the virtual unknown. But many years ago before we met she had an abortion at age 19 (she was brought up Methodist) she is ready to confess this but I read in the cathechism this is grounds for excommunication. So can a new convert be received into the church after an abortion or does our journey to the true church end here?

Hi,

Since your wife has already been Baptized, she will have the opportuniy to go to Confession just before she is received into the Catholic Church. There is no problem You both are in our prayers. We welcome you!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.