Does Holy Water really remove venial sins?

I recently came across a video from Tumblar House on YouTube that stated that Holy Water removes venial sins. I also heard the same thing from a family friend years ago. Is this an actual Church teaching? It wasn’t mentioned during the talk on Holy Water in RCIA and I didn’t find it in the CCC. (I may have missed it though)

I believe that’s correct, yes. I don’t know where you’d find a source to verify that though off the top of my head.

The Sacramentals of themselves do not remit venial sins, but they move us to truer devotion, to greater love for God and greater sorrow for our sins, and this devotion, love and sorrow bring us grace, and the grace remits venial sins.

That’s from the Baltimore Catechism.

Here follows a text from Saint Thomas and the Baltimore Catechism, which teach that sacramentals such a Holy Water, when used with devotion, remit venial sin–or at least dispose one for this grace. As to the other question, certainly God does not respond to prayers and petitions which are contrary to the truth, for then He would lead souls into error. Neither does God perform miracles or give signs for false religions that would lead the faithful away from the true Church.

From: http://www.ewtn.com/v/experts/showmessage_print.asp?number=423029&language=en

Hope this helps!:tulip:

grace does not forgive venial sins, it is acts of charity that forgive venial sins, grace just helps to perform acts of charity

jesus said if you confess your sins i will forgive and purify you from all unrighteousness, cleansing for me comes from the rivers of living water and the eucharist which says do this in memory of me for the forgiveness of sins of many. the word of god is a prescribed medicine given by jesus the heavenly physician - the word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us. jesus said all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. psalm 33,13 the lord looks down from heaven and sees the whole human race.

It is both/and not an either/or. The link @LittleFlower has to St. Thomas explains it well, as does his whole question on the remission of venial sin.

No. Repentance and faith in Christ does though. Mortal ones too.

I believe it has something to do with Baptism, blessing ourselves with Holy Water as we enter the church.

closed #10

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.