Does Islam worship a "false god" or the same god differently?

It seems to me that some say they worship a “false god” in order to justify a lot more anti-myslim sentiment. Of course, I guess I’m a liberal apostate because I think anybody who worships any god worships the one god the best way they know how…

Christian Arabs use the word “Allah” to refer to the God of the Bible. I do not know what word Christian Arabs used before the rise of Islam, but “Allah” is pretty much universal now.

However, the deity “revealed” in the Qur’an has markedly different characteristics from the deity revealed in the Bible. This is not just to say that the Qur’an’s deity has different characteristics from the Bible’s deity; some of “Allah’s” characteristics, as “revealed” in the Qur’an, contradict the characteristics that the Bible gives us for JHWH. This tells me that these are two different entities. More to the point, since there can be only one God, one deity is real and the other is false.

Disclaimer: I do NOT believe that Muslims are intentionally worshiping a false god. I do believe that they have been deceived from the beginning.

I think a point of confusion is that they also trace their deity back to Abraham.

*(Revelation 14:9-12):
“A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand, they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.” This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus.”

Not only Christian Arabs, Christians in Malaysia, Indonesia and several countries in South East Asia or in other parts of the world DO use the word ‘Allah’… The word Allah is not referring to a ‘false god’ or ‘moon god’… The meaning of the word is The Mighty One, The Holy One etc…

The Christians pronounce ‘Allah’ differently than Muslims’ pronunciation of Allah… Christians pronounce it as AL-LAH, the AL part sounds like the sound of short ‘aah’ with an ‘l’ and the LAH part sounds like the ‘lah’ sound in ‘blah’. I think I don’t have to explain how Muslims pronounce Allah, the pronunciation are commonly heard…

Now, Malaysian Christians are persecuted because of the usage of ‘Allah’ in Malay language Bibles… The word Allah had existed thousand years ago and used by Malaysian Christians MANY years ago… But the Muslims here in Malaysia claimed that only ISLAM has the right to use the word Allah… :frowning:

:console:
(Matthew 7:15-17):

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit."

Arab Christians also use ‘Allah’, Allah is synonymous (in our language) with God, however, this does not necessarily mean that Christians and Muslims worship the same God. While some of the characteristics of the Christian and Muslim seem similar in their nature (merciful, loving etc), the Muslim God does not appear to accept Jesus’ resurrection and divinity (since the Quran is believed to be the literal word of God). The Quran says that Jesus was not crucified, rather replaced by another man during the crucifixion. The Quran rejects Jesus’ divinity and resurrection which is against the heart of our faith.

I believe that the Muslim God is not the same as our own.

*(Isaiah 14:12-14):
“How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, You who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart:‘I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.’

The Muslims us two worship many gods. Then Muhammad came around he made the moon god Allah the main god. Allah to Catholics and Christians is just an other idol which is falsely praised. However we should respect others beliefs but tell them the truth as well

According to Vatican II they worship the true God, I don’t pretend to understand how exactly, but I do know that they don’t have the fullness of Revelation as otherwise they would be part of Christ’s visible Church and Worship God as Father,Son, and Holy Spirit.

[quote=Nostra Aetate]3. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.
[/quote]

For me they are not worshipping a false God. They worship the same God but put a limit on God although they also believe God does what he wills. God for them is a controlling one though who doesn’t give free will. Yes for them God is a loving one but since they follow Mohammeds words (who came 600 years after Christ) they fail to understand God fully.

MJ

The same God differently. As I understand it, Muslims revere Jesus (as “Isa” or “Isa bin Maryam”) as the last-but-one in a line of great prophets, culminating in Muhammad, sent by God to further His revelation of Himself to mankind; their interpretation of the Gospel is that Muhammad, not the Holy Spirit, is the “paraclete” Jesus spoke of. The Qu’ranic interpretation of the YHWH of the Old Testament is different - sometimes radically so - but they’re talking about the same God. The extreme differences between Christianity and Islam are to do with the nature of that worship (and the ensuing “image” of God provided to believers), not its object.

Yes, they worship the same God. As pointed out, Vatican Ii clearly states that.

I think an easier way to think of it is this way…you and I both know of a man named Harry. The difference is that my knowledge of Harry comes from someone who actually really knows and is close to Harry (maybe its his wife, whom he loves very dearly). This mutual friend has passed on a very accurate picture of who Harry is.

You heard about Harry from someone who only met him once, and maybe it wasn’t under good circumstances (he was involved in a fender bender). This individual passed on a very different picture of Harry to you.

Do we both know the same Harry? Yes. It’s the same person. But we have very different understandings of who Harry is. One of them is true and accurate and one is incomplete, possibly false, and definitely inaccurate.

:popcorn:

That’s a good way of putting it!

Although Islam does not recognise Jesus as the Son of God, or that He died for our sins (or indeed died at all), despite those fundamental differences there are enough similarities between the two religions to see they are most definitely worshipping the same God (e.g. Muslims believe in the virgin birth (there’s an entire chapter of the Qu’ran, Sura 19, dedicated to Mary, and there are many Islamic Marian prayers including a version of the Hail Mary which they use in almost the exact same way we do), the Ascension and the Second Coming.)

Essentially, in the broadest terms possible, Islam is to Christianity as Christianity is to Judaism.

I disagree. I know the position of the Church, but during my studies of Jewish culture and of Islam, I find that there are 99 “names” of Allah, which are more attributes. Ar-Raḥmān, “the compassionate”, Ar-Raḥīm, “the merciful”, etc.

In Judaism, things are quite different. A name is not merely an arbitrary designation, a random combination of sounds. The name conveys the nature and essence of the thing named. It represents the history and reputation of the being named.

This is not as strange or unfamiliar a concept as it may seem at first glance. In English, we often refer to reputation as his “good name.” When a company is sold, one thing that may be sold is the company’s “good will,” that is, the right to use the company’s name. The Hebrew concept of a name is very similar to these ideas.

The primary Hebrew name for God follows this example, “YHWH”, (I am, to be), , the similar Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh (I am that I am).

Nearly all other names or “attributes” of God are used in place of these holy names, as writing, or even speaking them are forbidden, to protect them from defamation. See “Adonai” (Lord), “Ha Shem” (the name), “Adoshem” (a combination of the two), etc.

There is also a very different relationship between man and God in both. That, and the several descriptions of Allah as a “schemer” of “decieving” in the Quran lead me to believe them to be entirely different. It may be that Muhammed borrowed what he knew about Judaism and Christianity to Islam, and the Arab culture then gave it a very different bent.

The official position of the RCC is the same as our view on Judaism. They both worship the same God as us, but imperfectly

The word ‘allah’ al-lāh, as meaning ‘the [sole] god’ is a later contraction of the word/phrase that the polytheist tribes gave to the particular god/godess they were most devoted to.

There are no historical or architectural links to Abraham and Ishmael regarding the building of the Ka’aba, indeed it was built long after their passing and about 300 years before Muhammad - also it is recorded that Muhammad observed and commented on the 360 idols of ‘gods’ that adorned the building/structure, so so much for it being a monotheist’s temple at that time. In the Qur’an and the Hadith there are contradictory passages regarding the claim that remain unaddressed, due to the Islamic tradition of ‘dualism’, which allows ‘holy’ contradictions to BOTH be accepted, but not at the same time. This makes debating with an Islamic scholar somewhat ‘interesting’ at times.

{Pope John Paul in an opening address to the Vatican Academy of Sciences said that ‘one truth cannot be in contradiction to another’.

Historical records show that the Ka’aba was built in the 4th century AD.

Why is it that Catholics always appeal to the Magisterium when discussing their beliefs…yet on this issue…it seems that many disregard what their own church actually teaches and have their own beliefs…isn’t that “cafeteria Catholicsm”?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.