Does it cancel out the Scapular promises for good if you remove it at inappropriate times?

As one who wear the Brown Scapular and prays the Rosary daily for it, does it permanently cancel out the promises if you take it off at inappropriate times?

For example,

1. I take it off to take a shower (I know that is appropriate), but I forget to put it back on after I get out?
  2. This is bad, but I still deal with a cybersex addiction issue. Anyway, we am in the middle of that kind of sin, I remove the Scapular because I am in the middle of sin and I don’t know and I know the sin is wrong.

But does this kind of stuff cancel out the promises of the Scapular for good or does it only cancel it while it is not being worn, but once I put it back on, then I am under the promises again? I tend to think the latter, but I want other opinions.

The Scapular is not a magical talisman. It is a sign of your interior consecration to Our Lady. Don’t fall into superstition.

Betsy

That would depend, I would think, on your heart and it’s devotion to Our Lady. How much you are “fighting” your addiction issue (or any sin) would be for Him to judge.

Maybe if you’re tempted to take off your scapular to look at improper material, it’s time to leave the computer.

Otherwise, I really doubt if Our Lord and Our Lady are such legalists they would dock you for forgetting to put back on your scapular after a shower.

The power of sacramental comes from the faith of the Church. I.e., the stronger the faith of the believer who uses the sacramental, the stronger the power of the sacramrntal is.

I worry that I may have cancelled out the Brown Scapular promises because of this issue. Any comments?

EDIT: On second thought, looking at the Q&As at www.freebrownscapular.com, it says even if one removes their Scapular for several years, they regain the promises once they put it back on.

“nsper” If this were true, than I would have been “cancelled out” many times over. Our Blessed Mother gave this sacramental to her children to HELP us, not to condemn us. She knows well… that there may be times when it is absolutely necessary to remove the Brown Scapular. Sometimes, it may even be out of our control (such as, a visit to the ER, etc.).

No, it is not true. Please don’t fall into a mindset of superstition, with use of sacramentals. Superstitious and all related “beliefs” are contrary to Catholic Church Teaching.

God bless you, “nsper”. Relax, and trust in the goodness of Our Lord, Jesus. He and His Holy Mother LOVE you! :slight_smile:

"nsper" If this were true, than I would have been "cancelled out" many times over. Our Blessed Mother gave this sacramental to her children to HELP us, not to condemn us. She knows well.. that there may be times when it is absolutely necessary to remove the Brown Scapular. Sometimes, it may even be out of our control (such as, a visit to the ER, etc.).

What about Situation 2 where I remove it because of sin I am about to commit?

[quote="nsper7, post:8, topic:155606"]
What about Situation 2 where I remove it because of sin I am about to commit?

[/quote]

Wow. You want to remove it so your loving mother won't notice? She will. God will too. And your guardian angel. And while you're in the middle of your sin they are still loving you and wanting you to be free of it. So, honestly, why take the Scapular off? Leave it on and let it make you ashamed. Maybe the Blessed Mother will obtain the grace for you to walk away from the computer or get off the site sooner.

This is a terribly strong addiction. You need all the help you can get.

IMHO don't worry about 'canceling out the promises'. To me, taking off the Scapular says 'I am now preparing to sin. I don't want you around. I want this pleasure and I'm going to do it right now. I don't admit that you have any rights over my life. Now clear out!' Keep it on as a sign that you want to belong to God and the Blessed Mother even though you are miserably weak and about to sin.

Keep going to confession; don't give up the struggle! Pray that Jesus will give you a real hatred of your bondage to this and a strong desire to be free of it. It is possible, with God's grace, to give this up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.