Does it invalidate a Rosary or Chaplet of Divine Mercy if you

Does it invalidate a Rosary or Chaplet of Divine Mercy:

A) Get distracted during the recitation of the prayers (I deal with Scrupulosity and sometimes really bad/disgusting thoughts cross my mind as I try to pray)
B) If you say too many Hail Marys or ‘For the sake of His sorrowful passions’ (said on the ‘Hail Mary’/little beads in the C of DV), especially because you maybe concerned you got distracted or missed one so you say extras just to be sure
C) Adding extra quick prayers (i.e. for forgiveness if you got distracted or a bad thought crossed your mind or something) say between Hail Mary’s or between decades or something

I can’t see that praying extra is a bad thing in any way, shape or form! No need to worry, IMO.

How do you “invalidate” prayers? It’s prayer, not magic, stop worrying about it. :smiley:

The Rosary and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy are private devotions, and, as such, are completely flexible to suit your own circumstances.

What they are not is magical incantations that only work when you do them exactly correctly. They are not “valid” or “invalid.”

Try to keep in mind the ultimate purpose of any prayer or devotion - to bring you close to God and to show your love for Him. Whatever it takes for you to fight your distractions and communicate with God is OK.

Keep praying!

Betsy

Short answer: No. :slight_smile:

I don’t think there’s a single person alive who doesn’t get distracted sometimes in their prayers. NO prayer can be ‘invalidated’ by distraction. Even if they are awful thoughts - thoughts are many times beyond our control, unwilled and unwanted, thus not sinful. It’s perfectly ok to interrupt with a quick prayer to refocus when such distractions occur.

Neither can a Rosary or DMC be ‘invalidated’ by such human failings as adding an extra Hail Mary or saying one too few. As has been said, it is a prayer, not a magic spell - or a maths test for that matter!

“nsper” I’ve had big problems with concentration and distraction, during prayer too.

You know what really helped me with the Rosary? Big, color pictures of each Mystery! :wink: (The little pictures, usually found in prayer books or Missals, didn’t really help; but then, again… my eyesight is bad :hypno: ). I set them up on a desk or table… and contemplate them, while praying the Mystery’s.

You can get them through the "Leaflet Missal Company"
leafletonline.com/catalog/Home/HomePage.aspx?

For the Chaplet of Divine Mercy… I usually contemplate the Sorrowful Mystery’s. You might wanna give it a try. Sure works for me!

Regarding distractions:

Saint Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church encouraged a novice who regretted her distractions during prayer. “I also have many, but as soon as I am aware of them, I pray for those persons the thought of whom is diverting my attention, and in this way they reap benefit from my distractions…I accept all for the love of God, even the wildest fancies that cross my mind”.

Lord, when I experience distractions, please let thought of any person or issue become prayer in me for them.

My dear friend

Welcome to the church in advance. I have a similiar problem at times, but no scruples right now. If you have scruples talk to your confessor and follow his advice to the letter on this. If it’s the enemy disturbing you then you can interrupt your prayers as you mention. With some thoughts you may have to. They can be very unsettling thoughts. But try to persevere because the enemy will note if he’s successful.
If scruples see your confessor though. Very important.

An old thread about scuples may interest some.

Hi all
We had a long debate about scrupulosity on here nearly 3 years ago. it was not about OCD. If any have scruples then check this link forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=91679 I copied a lot of material from a very good book on scruples and others made great contributions and we debated the whole question in great length.
If you have scruples you need all the help you can get.

God bless:thumbsup::slight_smile:

The question of validity only applies to events not prayers. Events are the sacraments, an election of a Major Superior or a pope, profession of vows.

I hope this helps.

JR :slight_smile:

You can always ask your Guardian Angel to take charge! :thumbsup: If you miss one, your GA will say it for you, if you fall asleep, your GA will finish it for you… wow, our GAs work overtime don’t they?

God bless!

I think it was Padre Pio who said that if you restart the Rosary every time you get distracted you would never finish it in your lifetime.

And that should be enough said, huh? :thumbsup: And very true!

I don’t know if he said it or not, but I agree with it.

I agree wholeheartedly

Despite the fact that the Liturgy of the Hours is longer and more complex than the rosary, I have always found it easier to get distracted during the rosary. One day I figured out what it was. The rosary is almost hypnotic, because of the repetition. It’s like driving to work. You do it so much that sometimes you don’t even realize it.

Fortunately, God knows our hearts desire better than we do.

Fraternally,

This is why I hate it when I go through a whole day without praying more than a rosary. I like to do the LOTH to because it has more variety to it. I really have to think about what I’m doing…except for some of those canticles. They always get me!:o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.