Does it make a real difference?

I’m in a serious struggle with a family member about which is the true faith – Catholicism or what she calls “Reformed Protestantism.” This group firmly believes in Sola Scriptura and Sola Fidei. All my scriptural references are met with blstering rebukes about “wrong interpretation,” and logic is irrelevant.

In the end, is it really important which one of us is right? We both believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior, seek forgiveness of our sins and try to live God-directed spiritual lives. Should we seek a truce or let the battle rage on!

MktingGuy

Dear M Guy,

The answer is yes it does matter if the “it” is truth. Truth matters because it is reality. It alone has lasting power. The lie eventually is always seen for what it is. I’m not suggesting that you continue to have at with each other. You mention that logic seems to be irrelevant with this family member. I know of no way to proceed when logic is not respected. But to say that it is not important as to who is right, is simply not true.

You can still disagree without battling. But to act as if the truth is not important is simply not honest. You need to pray for each other and possibly with each other.

You didn’t ask for references, but we have a good article from “This Rock” on sola scritura: catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0409fea3.asp

You both are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.