Does it matter what denomination you are a part of?

“We all have Jesus and our own opinions so it doesn’t matter if we are in different types of denominations right? I mean Jesus wouldn’t care if you are Baptist, catholic, or any type of protestant as long as we have Jesus in our heart”

-protestants

Does the Pope have supreme universal jurisdiction over the Eastern Churches?

Is this addressed to Protestants? Perhaps get it moved to non catholic religions forum

Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus

No I’m just looking for a rebuttal

If Jesus didn’t care, then there would be no denominations. Denominations are only created because of disagreements in theology, and if none of it truly mattered, then there would be no reason to create your own church.

I tried saying something like that. It’s usually a “even if that’s true Jesus still wouldn’t care as long as we believe in Him and follow the bible” type of response.

Faith is not based on opinion, it’s based on experience first. We experience faith.
Jesus is not an opinion.
Jesus is an experience.
We are all Christians. But who exactly do Protestants believe Jesus to be as human and divine.

That is a relativist argument. The reality is that if God revealed truth to us it is only logical to think that he would want us to believe Him and He would give us the means to understand his revelation.

Ultimately, denominationalism is just another way of saying “I believe this part of God’s revelation but not this other part”. It is illogical to think God would be ok with that kind of circumstance.

Just ask them where Jesus tells us to follow a Bible, and who has (or had) authority to determine which books make it up.

I’m speaking with a non denominational so they will say they don’t follow any religous government.

We must be baptized (John 3:3) into the one Body in the one Spirit (1 Cor. 12:13), partake of the one bread as one Body (1 Cor. 10:17), and profess the One Lord, one faith, one Baptism (Eph 4:4-5). Like Noah’s ark, you have to be on board to be saved–like Noah’s ark in the flood, outside of which none were saved, Baptism now saves (1 Peter 3:20-21), and since we are baptized into the one Body it has the same significance as the ark.

In addition, to have fellowship or communion with Christ in His Body, you must have fellowship with those who have fellowship with Him (1 John 1:3). We are forbidden, therefore, from schisms and dissensions and must be united in belief (1 Cor. 1:10). Heresy and schism, therefore, also exclude from salvation (Gal 5:20-21; Titus 3:10-11).

Furthermore, while Christ is the head of the Church, He has also willed that the Church be led by men (Acts 20:28). He put St. Peter in charge of His one and only flock (John 21:15-17)–therefore, to be a member of Christ’s flock is to be a member of the flock tended by those who continue to exercise Peter’s ministry.

Our sins are to be forgiven through the ministry of the Church (John 20:21-22) and the faith is to be taught by those with succession from the Apostles–those who have been sent (Rom 10:15). Going out without being sent, on the other hand, is harmful to souls (Acts 15:24).

So to sum up, we should not be members of those communities that went out without being sent from the Church Christ founded, do not have their sins forgiven through the Apostolic ministers, do not partake of the one Bread, are not of one belief with the Church they left, do not acknowledge their authorized shepherds, etc…

Salvation is only found in the Catholic Church because Christ willed our salvation to not be isolated, but rather to be achieved by incorporation into a communion that is in communion with the Trinity. God is a communion of persons, and therefore that is what we are called to as well.

Ask them, “Is that what Jesus tells us?”

Sometimes talking with someone of this opinion is like trying to tack Jello to a tree.

The big question I’d have is where do they get the idea that:
A) Jesus has these opinions and
B) The Bible is the only source of truth?

They came from somewhere. It seems to me that even a cursory reading of the Gospels shows that Jesus had some pretty definite positions on belief and practice. He wasn’t telling the Pharisees or the multiple married woman ‘You be you! We’re all good! Your beliefs on salvation and marriage are totally fine…’

So their idea that Jesus ‘would be fine with opinions’ is an interpretation of scripture. And if they have that interpretation, vs. one that says Jesus has definite ideas about the faith and does care what people believe, why do they think they’re more relative one is true?

In short, to come up with this idea that opinions don’t matter is itself an opinion about the faith.

One Holy Catholic Apostolic. Jesus would never intend for divisions (fractions of the whole). Read up on Battle of Lepanto, it matters. Peace be with you

Denominations are fractions of the whole. A fraction of the support beneath a bridge weakens the capacity of the bridge. It matters. Thankfully He promised the gates of hell would not prevail, which means there is a fight to be had. Better to fight with the whole than with fractions. Peace be with you

I don’t belong to a denomination, because Catholics never broke away from anything. There’s a huge problem with that kind of indifferentism, either the Eucharist is the body and blood of Jesus Christ, or it is isn’t either Jesus Christ is God, or he isn’t, either there is a visible Church, that is protected by Jesus Christ himself, through the power of the Holy Spirit, where there isn’t. The Lutheran says that baptism regenerates the soul, the Baptist doesn’t. One Pentecostal says there are three persons in one God, but another, whom this one says is heretical, says there are only different modes of the one God. How can we say that we agree on the essentials, when we can’t even agree with what the essentials are? I think this is the problem with Protestantism, in a nutshell.

Your first sentence rocks. Exactly. (Now I’ll read the rest of what you wrote). Peace be with you

Jello to a tree…:thinking:
Seriously though, I like your last sentence. Peace be with you

Christ said: “ I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever; and the bread that I will give, is my flesh, for the life of the world.” Then he said further, “ Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.”

Now tell me, do you think it doesn’t matter to Christ whether you believe His words or not? Catholics believe that He is really present in the consecrated Bread that they receive in Holy Communion, but many Protestants don’t. So, do you think it doesn’t matter to Him if you are a Catholic or not?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.