Does it matter what religion you are?

Since we know the Catholic Church to be true and through Jesus Christ the way to Heaven, what of other religions, especially those who don’t believe in Christ? At our Church, the cathecist for the Confirmation class has said that it doesn’t matter what religion you are. I disagree and have two teenagers entering her class next year and I am concerned about what they will be taught.

Dear Moira.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states: “ Although in ways known only to himself God can lead those who, though no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, TO THAT FAITH WITHOUT WHICH IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE HIM, (emphasis, mine) the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men. (#848)

If I were you, I would think twice—no many more times that twice—before I would entrust any child of mine to the likes of that catechist. You should confront him and if need be, go to the pastor.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.