Does it say anywhere in the catechism that if someone never heard the name of Jesus they can be saved?

If so can you please share that with me? Thank you

“Outside the Church there is no salvation”

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.
7 Likes

Well, Paul did say one thing about Gentiles who haven’t heard the Torah, but still live by a conscience, and it probably applies to any word of God.

“For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.” - Rom 2:14-16

1 Like

Vatican II explicitly states that the “plan of salvation” includes those who worship the God of Abraham … .

I heard a funny Mark Twain story
It was basically him going to some tropical island -
It was a beautiful place, blue skies, palm trees,
Ocean water turquoise and sparkling,
Children, parents, naked, etc -

And he said - something to the effect -
“ it’s too bad these happy, friendly, heathen -
don’t know about the love of Jesus on the cross “

1 Like

From the Catechism:
"Outside the Church there is no salvation"
846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337

1 Like

What if someone is an atheist?

To what end does an atheist seek the good?

Why is that funny to you?
Seems misguided to me.
He apparently did not believe in God’s Mercy.
Which is obvious on the cross.

I’m not quoting Mark Twain perfectly -
But it was to the effect of a group of people,
uneffected by the world, a heaven on earth,
going about nobly, properly, in unity -
And ‘civilized man’s influence’ hadn’t reached them yet -
Mans evil - influence. Let’s face it.
And it was funny - to me anyways - how he explained it.
Like The Garden of Eden - influenced by Satan !

You miss my point.
The people who, through no fault of their own, have not heard the Gospel message are not influenced by Satan.
The Church does NOT teach this.

1 Like

That’s why I thought it was funny -
or should I say ‘clever’ on Mark Twain’s part - as a writer.

Whatever. Sounds kind of sad to me. Far from funny that he would think that.
And they say Catholics are harsh. Sheesh.

What if someone doesn’t believe there is a God but seeks to do what they believe is morally right?

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible for an atheist to go to heaven. I think It would matter if they looked for God.or if they refused to look. If they refused to look is it a fault they are culpable for.?
If they sought the good in love of truth yet, by no fault of their own, were unable to find God, I would say that God would not deny a way to salvation. This means they aren’t culpable for denying truth that pointed to God.

2 Likes

In which part exactly is this written?

Vatican II, Lumen Gentium, n. 16:
16. Finally, those who have not yet received the Gospel are related in various ways to the people of God.(18*) In the first place we must recall the people to whom the testament and the promises were given and from whom Christ was born according to the flesh.(125) On account of their fathers this people remains most dear to God, for God does not repent of the gifts He makes nor of the calls He issues.(126) But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Muslims, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind. Nor is God far distant from those who in shadows and images seek the unknown God, for it is He who gives to all men life and breath and all things,(127) and as Saviour wills that all men be saved.(128) Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience.(19*) Nor does Divine Providence deny the helps necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God and with His grace strive to live a good life.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.