Does it seem that humility is a lost virtue?

"The humble will be exalted and the exalted will be humbled." Jesus did not find equality with God something to be grasped at, rather He humbled himself. Jesus humbled himself for our sakes. He humbled himself unto death upon a cross. God found favor with Mary, because she was the humble handmaid of the Lord.

As I roam the halls of these threads, it seems that many times, I see a severe lack of humility from many people that post here. I'm not just talking about the name calling that goes on between people from other faith based organizations and Catholics, and name calling between Catholics themselves, but also on some of the threads that I see. I see people talking about how their priests homily sucked, people talking about how they can tell if people are real Catholics or not, because they knelt in front of an empty tabernacle on Good Friday, etc. Am I the only person who notices this? I have recently saw threads where people commented to the fact that they don't bother listening to their priests homilies, but instead, they read the homily in the missal. Really??? I understand that some things like chatty parishioners & cell phones ringing in church can be very annoying and offensive, but now were getting to the point where we are critiquing priests homilies and judging whether people are real Catholics or not by their appearance? Do you all think that most Catholics really know how important the virtue of humility is? Don't people realize that pride was the reason sin entered the universe? Please tell me that I'm not the only one who notices this. A wise man once told me, "No humility, no holiness, no holiness, no heaven." and those are words that I truly take to heart and try living by. When I look around on these threads, I feel like this is a lost virtue on many.

"Humility must always be doing its work like a bee making its honey in the hive: without humility all is lost.

Teresa Of Avila

"Wouldst thou comprehend the height of God? First comprehend the lowliness of God. Condescend to be humble for thine own sake, seeing that God condescended to be humble for thy sake too, for it was not for his own.

Augustine Of Hippo

You’ve hit a chord with me. I think we all have natures we struggle with. Some might be more lustful than others, some might be quick to anger, some mught be this or that-

I know that ego/pride is my biggest struggle. I have a pretty big ego sometimes and I need to keep it in check. It’s a hard thing to do.

Thank you for being so open and honest. I wasn’t trying to single any one person out, nor do I think that I don’t need to work on this virtue myself, I just think that I see a major lack of it from many here.

Yeah, I do see it…and I personally apologize, if I’ve ever offended anyone with a lack of humility. What I think it’s more of that I tend to see, is a lack of compassion and understanding, at times. We should strive hard to be slow to judge, and quick to love and understand. I agree with what RK is saying…everyone struggles with something. :o

Thanks for that. I actually think some people are TOO honest on these threads, sometimes they put way too much information. I hope I didn’t.

In that respect, I think the OP is mixing up humility and charity. Humility entices to completely be sorry for our actions, charity sometimes calls us to be harsh. When there are some threads posted, as the one a while ago about the young lady who claimed to be her aunt then backpeddled or the guy with the dog…it IS charitable to let them know that they are in the wrong, that they must “grow up” so to speak.

I agree... there certainly are "modern pharisees" who can get caught up in the rules and regulations and ignore the greatest commandment of loving one another...
In all honesty... arguing is fruitless... just pray for THEM....

[quote="whatevergirl, post:4, topic:193884"]
Yeah, I do see it...and I personally apologize, if I've ever offended anyone with a lack of humility. What I think it's more of that I tend to see, is a lack of compassion and understanding, at times. We should strive hard to be slow to judge, and quick to love and understand. I agree with what RK is saying...everyone struggles with something. :o

[/quote]

I agree... :o

I see many instances on many of these threads where people seem to think that they are more Catholic than the Pope and that bothers me. There are many here that claim to know their faith well, but it seems that many here spend their time second guessing church teaching, second guessing the homilies that they hear, and many other things along that same line. I answered a thread one time to someone who was struggling with patience and looking for advice. After I had shared some ideas on this thread, someone else came on there and offered this for advice. "Many times I chew gum and blow bubbles while I have an idiot babbling in front of me, it really seems to help." Really? I don't think enough people actually take time to read quotes, teachings & writings from Saints, otherwise they might realize how important humility actually is. I guess that in one way I'm just venting, but in another way, I'm hoping that more people see this thread and it actually makes them think.

If you have a problem with the spirituality threads perhaps you should address that in the spiritual life sub-forum. The "Family Life" forum is mostly for direct issues/concerns of living life as a family.

I'd also recommend never venturing into the Trad Cath subforum, or on any thread about Lifeteen, Charasmatics, or popular culture media/books.

[quote="purplesunshine, post:9, topic:193884"]
If you have a problem with the spirituality threads perhaps you should address that in the spiritual life sub-forum. The "Family Life" forum is mostly for direct issues/concerns of living life as a family.

I'd also recommend never venturing into the Trad Cath subforum, or on any thread about Lifeteen, Charasmatics, or popular culture media/books.

[/quote]

I understand what your saying, but I also think that humility needs to start at home.

But that’s not what this post is about. :confused: Family life form isn’t home.:rolleyes:

[quote="purplesunshine, post:11, topic:193884"]
But that's not what this post is about. :confused: Family life form isn't home.:rolleyes:

[/quote]

Parents shouldn't teach their children humility? Parents shouldn't practice humility themselves, thus setting a great example for their children to follow, as well as everyone that they come in contact with? I do understand the point your getting at though. I think that I will leave this thread here, so people here can also ponder this thought and comment as they feel necessary, but I think that I will also follow your advice and post this in the spiritual forum. Maybe I will just phrase the question a bit differently. P.S. I see many children out in public today who lack discipline & humility, and I also see many children going uncorrected by their parents.

[quote="purplesunshine, post:9, topic:193884"]

[/quote]

I actually think this topic though could of gone in ANY of the subforums.

But you do have to have a very thick skin to post in the subforms you cited. A very thick skin.

I think the internet just changes people, makes them more bold, less charitable in general. Its not a unique characterisitc just here at CAF, I've seen it on a TON of other sites, be it religious, parenting, sports. Having a screenname and the degree of being anonymous it offers, opens it up for people to be less than charitable.

[quote="Saint_wannabe, post:12, topic:193884"]
Parents shouldn't teach their children humility? Parents shouldn't practice humility themselves, thus setting a great example for their children to follow, as well as everyone that they come in contact with? I do understand the point your getting at though. I think that I will leave this thread here, so people here can also ponder this thought and comment as they feel necessary, but I think that I will also follow your advice and post this in the spiritual forum. Maybe I will just phrase the question a bit differently. P.S. I see many children out in public today who lack discipline & humility, and I also see many children going uncorrected by their parents.

[/quote]

I was just saying that you weren't sticking to your own topic. These are two different and valid topics.

I'll cover the first one first. Yes, the spirituality forum would be better. Also, don't be afraid to flag posts that are cruel and make fun of people. Know the forum rules.

Second, if you WANT to discuss parents teaching their children humilitiy and how to behave go for it. I've posted asking parents what to do about other parents who let their children behave like the spawn of satan in my workplace.

I was a full-time nanny and had other children in my care so i have a glimpse of what it takes to be a parent, however, I also had the freedom not to do things (eg. not go to the bank or the grocer) if the child was being truly horrible. Which brings me to another point. Often these wild and uncontrolable aren't being raised by their parents. But since most of the parents here are doing that it's kinda like preaching to a choir.

[quote="PatriceA, post:13, topic:193884"]

I think the internet just changes people, makes them more bold, less charitable in general. Its not a unique characterisitc just here at CAF, I've seen it on a TON of other sites, be it religious, parenting, sports. Having a screenname and the degree of being anonymous it offers, opens it up for people to be less than charitable.

[/quote]

I don't know. Read these children's classics, "Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea/Island/Ingalside" (as well as Rilla of Ingalside", the Little Princess, Wizard of Oz (the original) and Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. The world is full of uncharitable, horrible people. It's not new. I think in the 50's and 60's we lost alot of small town/family behaviors in suburbia. So the gossipy neighbors, the hateful aristocrats, the know-it-all teen agers just found another way to express themselves.

[quote="purplesunshine, post:15, topic:193884"]
I don't know. Read these children's classics, "Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea/Island/Ingalside" (as well as Rilla of Ingalside", the Little Princess, Wizard of Oz (the original) and Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. The world is full of uncharitable, horrible people. It's not new. I think in the 50's and 60's we lost alot of small town/family behaviors in suburbia. So the gossipy neighbors, the hateful aristocrats, the know-it-all teen agers just found another way to express themselves.

[/quote]

Yes, there have always been uncharitable people.

I'm saying though, I think the internet can change even the most chariable of people at times. I know I've found myself being that way and I really have to have a tough talk with myself. I'm sure any one of us will admit that we have been surprised at least once with a something we posted and its beyond what we thought we would ever say to someone face to face.

Oh, I don’t think it’s just with anonymous forums. Ask anyone here who’s on FB and the friendships that have ended or the relations that have been strained because of what has been stated FB to FB that never would have been stated face-to-face. The same goes with emails among friends and family. I never thought I would have to hide the status of family or delete friends on FB but I have (family because my blood boils and so does their’s apparently whenever reading the other’s status, links, etc. but deleting them would just make things worse, and a friend b/c he posted a nude video - which I reported).

[quote="gmarie21, post:17, topic:193884"]
Oh, I don't think it's just with anonymous forums. Ask anyone here who's on FB and the friendships that have ended or the relations that have been strained because of what has been stated FB to FB that never would have been stated face-to-face.

[/quote]

Obviously, you've never met my family. :p Seriously, though, my cousins and I behave BETTER on face book because we know it's "permanent" and everyone can see. But at family gatherings or just around family in general there is no restraint.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.