Does jesus actually acknowledge mary as his mother?

I can’t help but notice that he never actually calls her mother in the gospels

and there is that section where a woman said, blessed was the womb that bore you and he pretty much said that obeying God’s word was more important than her being his mother. and woulndn’t go out to speak with her

I’m not sure what to think about this really

has anyone else ever struggled with it?

From the USCCB bible webpage:

Luke 11:27–28 The beatitude in Lk 11:28 should not be interpreted as a rebuke of the mother of Jesus; see note on Lk 8:21. Rather, it emphasizes (like Lk 2:35) that attentiveness to God’s word is more important than biological relationship to Jesus.

I suggest some good, solid Catholic bible studies. There are many to choose from. The Ignatius bible study series would be good options.

Ignatius website:
ignatius.com/promotions/catholic-study-bible/

And Scott Hahn’s bible study on Mary is very good:

salvationhistory.com/studies/courses/online/holy_queen_the_mother_of_god_in_the_word_of_god

Why would anyone struggle with this??

I recall at the crucifixion, Jesus said “Mother, behold your son” meaning John.
Pretty clear to me He understood she was His mother.
How could He not? Who do you think raised Him?
:confused:

Here is what the Holy Spirit inspired the Apostle John to write:

John 2:1-5
1 On the third day there was a wedding* in Cana* in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 1Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” 4 * [And] Jesus said to her, “Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servers, “Do whatever he tells you.”

John was there and he knew she was His mother.

In addition to what Randy wrote in the gospel of John, Everybody knew that Mary was Jesus’ mother:

Matthew:
Matthew 1:18
Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit.

An Angel of God:
Matthew 2:19-21
But when Herod died, behold, an angel of the Lord *appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, and said, “Get up, take the Child and His mother, and go into the land of Israel; for those who sought the Child’s life are dead.”

Mark:
Mark 3:31
Then His mother and His brothers *arrived, and standing outside they sent word to Him and called Him.

Luke:
Luke 2:34
And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary His mother, “Behold, this Child is appointed for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and for a sign to be opposed

In addition to the above…Jesus himself put himself under subjection and obedience to his mother…Is there any other example in the Bible where the Almighty God made himself an obedient child to a mere mortal?

Luke 2:51
And He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and He continued in subjection to them; and His mother treasured all these things in her heart.

From scripture we have Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, the Holy Spirit, Elizabeth, and an Angel sent straight from heaven all acknowledging Mary to Jesus’ mother. We also have God Almighty, Jesus himself, subjecting himself in obedience to his Mother.

I think Christ does acknowledge his mother on numerous occasions.

When they say his mother and others are waiting for him, Christ asks who his mother is…that it is who does God’s will. So, even by that description, he is clearly** including** Mary, again, because she does God’s will to an unbelievable degree.

Further, he often referred to her as “woman”, but some theorize it is because she is the “New Eve”. It was not a “put down”.

Christ actually elevated women in many ways. He spoke to women others wouldn’t speak to on many occasions, so he, in no way, was “down” on women, or his mother, either.

Then, at the crucifixion, his last words had to do with his mother, giving her to us, to the world, now as our mother. He also made sure she was provided for, entrusted her to John at that moment.

Mary was included in the key moments of Christ. Her womb was the first place Jesus went on earth! What does that say about God’s feelings towards the Blessed Virgin Mary?

She was entrusted with God’s son, God! What greater honor is there than that?

She carried Jesus, God, for 9 months! She nursed him, cared for him, raised him, protected him. She was with him at his first public miracle, at his death, at the grave.

I am not troubled, because in the rosary, they also say Mary received a crown as Queen of Heaven, that God, himself, crowned her.

Mary was, in a sense, Jesus’ first disciple.

I know Jesus loved her. Sometimes, people can read scripture, misinterpret what happened, but I am certain of it.

I need to edit my above sentence to state
“In addition to what Randy wrote ABOUT the gospel of John.”

Great info. I’ve learned a lot from this thread.

I have often scratched my head over this passage throughout my life and tried to figure out what it REALLY meant…finally it occurred to me that he actually referred this to his mother and her “yes” at the annunciation. Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be it done to me according to your word”.

:eek:

I doubt Jesus would have forgotten the 10 commandments!

After all he did write them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.