Does Jesus have a God in heaven?

I can see how Jesus would call God " my God" while on earth because positionally he was made “lower than the angels” as a man.

Revelation 3:12-
Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name. Even in the book of Revelation (after his death, resurrection, and ascension), when Jesus has all authority in Heaven and on Earth, seated at the right hand of God, he still says “my God.”

Is this because Jesus is talking as a man in heaven? But doesn’t it sound like he’s speaking as God here? I’m not getting this.

When on earth Jesus said *“my God, my God why hast thou forsaken me” *he was quoting Psalm 21/22 depending on your bible. Its a very sad and moving Psalm.

As for Revelation, note that he gave him His new Name. You cant call someone by the name of God who is not already God.

What is his new name? Who gave him his new name? And why would Jesus say MyGod since he is God himself? Does a God call another God “my God?”

Jesus -> God Saves

God

Fullfiling prophecy, like the other psalms i mentioned.

There is only one God. The son of a duck is a duck. The son of a lion is lion. The Son of the One True God the Father, can only be the One True God the Son. We get our nature from our parents. The relationship of the Godhead is ultimately a mystery. The Son is everything the Father is except being Father. The Father is everything the Son is, except being Son.

In quoting that Psalm, Jesus was indicating to the Jewish people who were well versed in the psalms that He indeed was the promised One. By using a prayer that they knew from the time of David, He made them realize their mistake. Jesus is both human and Divine. He didn’t walk around bragging that He was the Son of God. HE WAS God, but He used His human nature to instruct us. In His humanity, we have His life recounted to us in the Scriptures.
Revelation is a beautiful work, often misinterpreted. I suggest reading the Ignatius Study Book Series on the
writings of St. John:

amazon.com/First-Second-Third-Letters-Revelation/dp/1586174703/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424134580&sr=1-12&keywords=ignatius+catholic+study+bible#customerReviews

Thanks. I hope I didn’t come off the wrong way to you, I appreciate your answers. I would disagree with one point. Yes, “the son of a duck is a duck”, but the son of a duck(assuming he could talk) doesn’t say , dad , I’m your son and your MY duck. Maybe I’m missing something. Thanks again though.

Here is a commentary on Rev 3:12. I read something similar one of my Catholic Bibles but this goes into way more detail.

Three times in this verse (also Rev 3:2), Jesus refers to God the Father as “My God.” He did the same thing on the morning of His resurrection saying to Mary Magdalene, “…I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God” (Jn 20:17). By addressing the Father in this way, Jesus raises an important question about the relationship between the Father and the Son. As the Son of God, Jesus fully shares the Father’s divinity, but as the son of David, He also fully shares our humanity. Because God is Jesus’ Father and believers have been spiritually joined to Jesus, God has now become our Father at a far higher level than merely as our Creator. And because Jesus really became a human when He was incarnated, our God has become His God. By means of the incarnation the eternal Son who “existed in the form of God” (Php 2:6) became our human representative and by means of the cross became our “high priest” (He 2:17; 5:8-10). This is why Jesus, who is divine, can also call His Father, “My God.” He is not denying His own divinity but is addressing the Father from the human perspective as our representative (Ro 15:6; Eph 1:17). Having become a human He is now, and will forever remain, a resurrected human. His use of the term “My God” would also have assured Jewish believers in Philadelphia that their faith in Jesus in no way meant they had abandoned the God of Israel.

Hope this helps

It helps a lot and seems to support what I was thinking, and that is that Jesus is forever the God-man, making him able to call the Father “my God” in heaven.Thank you.

In Revelation the letters were given to the angel of the church of … to give to the churches. They seem to be written from the perspective of the angel, not from the perspective of Jesus Christ. So when the angel says “my God” it is not from the perspective of Jesus Christ but from the perspective of the angel. Jesus Christ is generally referred to in the third person.

Revelation does seem to spend a great deal of time presenting Jesus Christ as the “lamb”, his redemptive role, attaining reconciliation, even continuing that role into the last chapter Chapter 22. Jesus Christ is set in the role of presenting us to the Father.

I see no reason why heaven or earth should make any difference. Jesus can easily speak of “his God” because he is fully Man, and as Man, has a created human nature, body and soul and so in that nature, is inferior to God.

That he is now glorified in heaven and seated at the right hand of the Father still does not remove the fact that Jesus is still fully Man, body and soul. Why then should he be unable to refer to “his God” in his human nature?

I think ultimately you are right, however, from a human perspective , it seems more " natural" for Jesus to call the Father “My God” on earth then while in heaven. But yes, Jesus is a man in heaven.

But now, this imposes an artificial distinction, supported nowhere in Scripture or Tradition. What makes earth the determining factor as to whether Jesus can address the Father as “his God”, when in fact, anything pertaining to the communication of idioms deals exclusively with the Hypostatic Union, not the realm where he currently dwells?

You are absolutely right. I really can’t find any scriptural reason why Jesus couldn’t call God , “My God” in heaven. Although in a glorified body he is still a man as well as divine.

Unitarions and Jehovahs Witnesses have used this on me, fortunately I have spent enough time debunking their claims. I just wanted to make sure I was right and you sealed it for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.