Does Jesus have a soul like mine?

Does Jesus have a regular human soul like mine or does he have a super soul or is His soul the Holy Spirit?

Either this is a silly question or I have stumped everyone…:clapping:

In addition to his divine nature, Jesus has a human nature: a human body and a human soul. A soul like yours? Yes and No. Even after baptism, your soul (and mine) suffers from the effects of Original Sin (concupiscence). Jesus’ soul (and Mary’s soul) did not suffer from the effects of Original sin while he (and she) walked the earth.

[quote=EsclavoDeCristo]Does Jesus have a regular human soul like mine or does he have a super soul or is His soul the Holy Spirit?
[/quote]

Jesus’ two natures (sometimes called “operations” in the early Church) is known as the “hypostatic union” or “hypostatis” and was established at the council of Chalcedon in 451 AD. One is 100% human, one 100% divine, both substantially united. www.newadvent.com discribes the hypostatic union this way:

“A theological term used with reference to the Incarnation to express the revealed truth that in Christ one person subsists in two natures, the Divine and the human. Hypostasis means, literally, that which lies beneath as basis or foundation. Hence it came to be used by the Greek philosophers to denote reality as distinguished from appearances (Aristotle, “Mund.”, IV, 21). It occurs also in St. Paul’s Epistles (2 Corinthians 9:4; 11:17; Hebrews 1:3-3:14), but not in the sense of person. Previous to the Council of Nicæa (325) hypostasis was synonymous with ousia, and even St. Augustine (De Trin., V, 8) avers that he sees no difference between them. The distinction in fact was brought about gradually in the course of the controversies to which the Christological heresies gave rise, and was definitively established by the Council of Chalcedon (451), which declared that in Christ the two natures, each retaining its own properties, are united in one subsistence and one person (eis en prosopon kai mian hpostasin) (Denzinger, ed. Bannwart, 148). They are not joined in a moral or accidental union (Nestorius), nor commingled (Eutyches), and nevertheless they are substantially united. For further explanation and bibliography see: INCARNATION; JESUS CHRIST; MONOPHYSITISM; NATURE; PERSON.”

Hi Esclavo__.

St. Paul said it once and for all, Christ is “like us in everything except sin”.

In short, his soul is a human soul like yours. The mystery of the incarnation is just that, a mystery, and it not entirely possible for us to understand how exactly Jesus is a divine person, while being totally human. We read in the gospels that he grew in age and wisdom, which implies that although Jesus as God is all-knowing, the human expression of his knowledge was dependent on the development of his flesh-and-blood brain.

In Hebrews, the author uses this doctrine to point out that we have a high priest who can empathize with our difficulties and represent us before God, not only theoretically but from practical experience.

Verbum

[quote=EsclavoDeCristo]Does Jesus have a regular human soul like mine or does he have a super soul or is His soul the Holy Spirit?
[/quote]

The Soul of Jesus is as really human a soul as yours or mine - the difference being, that it is unspoilt by sin. If anything, we are less human than Jesus.

Have a look at Hebrews 4 - He “was like us in all things, excepting only sin.” ##

So I assume that the soul of people in heaven is just like Jesus’ soul then, right?

Hi Awalt,

The soul is what makes us what we are as individuals. So no two souls are alike.

Verbum

[quote=awalt]So I assume that the soul of people in heaven is just like Jesus’ soul then, right?
[/quote]

With the difference that the man Jesus who has a soul, is God, which we are not :slight_smile:

Jesus is altogether Holy - not wounded by sin, as we are. He does keep the wounds of His Body, which are glorified, just as the Body that bears them is glorious; and, just as He has those wounds, originally hideous, then transformed by His Resurrection and made glorious, so (at a guess) with us: our bodies will be glorified (that much is definite & beyond doubt - see the NT & the CCC); and my guess is, that the wounds in our nature & our souls will be transformed by His grace, along with our souls; they will leave marks, as His have - but those marks will be transformed: they will not be shameful any longer, but glorified. ##

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.