Does Jesus in latin mean Hail Zeus?

A friend of mine showed me this quote, "Jesus’ is a transliteration of a Latin name Ioesus, pronounced heysus - which means nothing in Hebrew,
but in Latin it means ‘Hail Zeus’.

LOL! So wait – ‘Jesus’, a transliteration of a Hebrew name, means nothing in Hebrew? And therefore, whatever it sounds like in Latin is what it means? :rotfl:

No, that’s just silly! Jesus is really Jeshua, which means “God saves” in Hebrew. That’s what it really means.

I did not have the quote quite correct but I corrected it.

Hmm… I’m not seeing the correction. Nevertheless, it’s not critical.

In Latin, Jesus would be pronounced “Ee-ay-sus” not “Hey-zeus”.

Regardless, though, that doesn’t mean anything. The name ‘Anastasia’, in Russian, gives rise to the nickname ‘Nastia’. Saying that “Jesus” means “Hail Zeus” is equivalent to saying that the Russian nickname ‘Nastia’ means ‘nasty’, since that’s what it sounds like in English. Can you see that, whatever ‘Jesus’ sounds like in Latin, it’s immaterial to what it really means, since the meaning of the name ‘Jesus’ proceeds from its Hebrew roots, not any later pronunciation in another language?

No it doesn’t. “Hail Zeus” would be “Ave Iuppiter.”

Your friend either doesn’t know what he is talking about or made that up.

The name Jesus comes from the Hebrew name Yeshua which means rescue or deliver (verb) or deliverance (noun). It is in the Book of Leviticus which predates the greco-roman language and culture by at least 1000 years.

-Tim-

Wow, that is a new one! Hail in Latin is Ave. Like in Ave Maria. Ask the person if they have ever heard that song, then just let it sink in…

Je SUS would be an English emphasis on the SUS part. Which sounds (I guess a little like Zeus) But in the other languages those names sound nothing alike. As noted above.

Perhaps you could counter with a little made up fact of your own and point out that Zeus, and Dr. Suess did their residency at the same hospital.

Is there any chance this person is just yanking your chain?

Where would he get such an idiotic idea?

Actually that’s not true at all. The first time Leviticus was seen in human history was when Ezra brought the Torah of Moses back from Exile, and introduced it in the Fall Festival as described in Nehemiah. :thumbsup:

OP:

Joshua in the OT was the first “Jesus”. Same name. Defined as the previous member said.

Yep! Guess the “friend” of the OP forgot that the Romans who were the ones speaking Latin didn’t use the name Zeus-- that was the Greeks.

Maybe this friend is pulling the OP’s leg. This one is way out there…:shrug:

The word Jesus is the Latin form of the Greek Iesous, which in turn is the transliteration of the Hebrew Jeshua, or Joshua, or again Jehoshua, meaning “Jehovah is salvation.” Though the name in one form or another occurs frequently in the Old Testament, it was not borne by a person of prominence between the time of Josue, the son of Nun and Josue, the high priest in the days of Zorobabel. It was also the name of the author of Ecclesiaticus, of one of Christ’s ancestors mentioned in the genealogy, found in the Third Gospel (Luke 3:29), and one of the St. Paul’s companions (Colossians 4:11). (Catholic Encyclopedia)

Probably watches a lot of “Die Hard” movies…

Hmm… that’s an odd assertion. You’re saying that the first time that Leviticus was encountered was when it was re-promulgated following the exile? I guess that begs an obvious question: if it wasn’t seen prior to the ‘fall festival’, how would it have been known to exist? If, as we see in Leviticus 1, God told Moses, “Speak to the Israelites and tell them,” then doesn’t that imply that Moses did exactly that? And therefore, that Leviticus “was seen in human history” far earlier than the Babylonian exile? :hmmm:

Hey, I watch a lot of die hard movies!!!

Samuel L Jackson was Zeus.

Yippy Kai aye Mr. Falcon.:smiley:

It’s a bunk claim. Jesus is not a native Latin name, but a transliteration of the Greek name Iesous, which is itself a transliteration of a Hebrew name. Jesus doesn’t even follow a native Latin declension but imitates the inflection of the Greek word.

It doesn’t sound like “Hey, Zeus” either. It is Yee-soos or Yeh-soos (depending on your pronunciation. In Latin, it’s all “Yeh-soos.” The Greek work Zeus is pronounced “Zdeh-us” (or “Dzeh-us,” depending on who you ask). You can see that soos and zdehus are two very different sounds.

Here’s an example of someone who is making the claim your friend made.

hiddenbible.com/jesuszeus/jesuszeus.html

You can see plenty other examples of idiocy here. Among his many dubious quotations, he says, “It is known that the Greek name endings with sus, seus, and sous which are phonetic pronunciations for the chief Greek god of Olympus - were attached by the Greeks to names and geographical areas as means to give honour to their supreme deity, Zeus.” And later on, he says, “Tarsus means Sweat of Zeus… Dionysus means the Son of Zeus …” As stated, above sus is not even close to a phonetic pronunciation of Zeus. The etymology given is completely fictitious as well. Tarsus is not from Greek at all. It is named after a Hittite god, Tar. The name Dionysius is related to Zeus, but he gets it completely backwards. It is the first syllable, Dio, that is connected to Zeus, not nysus.

:rotfl:

I’ve never heard that one before. :smiley:

I wonder what they will think of next. :rolleyes:

All I know is that your friend doesn’t know Latin. Or Greek. :cool:

I remember reading an article by some fellow who claimed that we should not use the word “Amen” because it is the name of an Egyptian god. :rolleyes:

I wonder did any other gods get short shrift this way? Like someone from Persia telling the Egyptians one of their gods’ names really mean, “Oh, Cyrus”? :smiley:

BTW, the direct translation of “Hey, (as opposed to “Hail”) Zeus” in Latin would be “O Zeu” *(Zeu *being the vocative case of Zeus).

Which makes one then suspicious of the prophet Hosea… :hmmm:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.