Does John 14:6 Disprove Saintly intercession?

In the title

Not at all. The intercession of the Saints is a logical extension of the doctrine of the Mystical Body; if the Head can intercede for us, so too can the members - although in an inferior and secondary manner. ‘For in him we live, and move…’ (Acts 17:28). The miracles wrought by the intercession of St. Therese alone are sufficient to demonstrate the power of saintly intercession.

My understanding is that those who “ask for intercession” are doing so with faith that Jesus is the only way for us to be saved. Intercession is for the believer… the Baptized… the member. It is done with the faith that we all build one another up, and can pray for the needs of others in the body.

“Recourse” of the Saints is acknowledgment that our sins have done damage to the whole body, to a certain degree.

Jesus is not alone but a family of all He accepts into His life.

Nope. It says nothing at all about the intercession of the saints.

It says that Jesus is the only way to the Father.

On this, all Christians agree.

Jn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
And a few verses later:

Jn 14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
This is how the Saints do it: We all pray for ourselves and others to Jesus and in His name, i.e. His authority. So Jn 14:6 proves Jesus is the only way to the Father but does not prove that others cannot go to Jesus FOR THE SAKE OF OTHERS.

“The fact is that Jesus is the one mediator between God and Man, because Jesus is both God and Man. The saints do not circumvent Jesus Christ in order to speak to God – they offer our prayers to Jesus Christ. The Scripture is very clear that we should pray for each other – James 5:16, I John 5:16. In I Timothy 2:1-7 we are told to offer petitions – this is the very passage which contains the statement that Jesus is the one mediator! We are to offer prayers for *each other *– and that applies to the saints in Heaven just as it applies to us here on earth”.
Catholic Basic Training - The Communion of Saints

God bless

Mike

St Paul regularly asked other Christians in distant places via letters to pray for him. See Col 4:3; 1 Thes 5:25; 2 Thes 3:1; Heb 13:18. Asking Christians in heaven via prayer (spiritual letters) to pray for us is not much different.

John 14:6
“[6] Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.”

NO:)
All prayers; even “intercessory prayer” END with GOD:thumbsup:

The difference is though profound:

Mary and the Saints take our petitions

Add there own On-TOP of them

& THEN present to God on our behalf:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for asking,

Patrick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.