Does John the Beloved Symbolise Us?

I’ve heard it said that the Apostle John represents humanity; and so when, for instance, Our Lord declares Mary to be John’s Mother (Jn 17:26-7), she is declared to be our mother as well. But I’m wondering if there is any actual evidence for this in Scripture or tradition?

Many thanks!

• Clem

The word disciple is used in that verse and could easily be applied to all the followers of Christ.

If it’s the same John who wrote Revelation (as tradition has it), then there is good reason to at least consider Mary as the mother of all Christians. Compare that verse to Revelation, where it says the woman’s offspring are “those who keep God’s commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus” (Rev 12:17). The women here is most straightforwardly Mary, since the same woman “gave birth to a son, a male child, who ‘will rule all the nations with an iron scepter’” (Rev 12:5). Also note both references (Gospel of John and Revelation) refer to her as “woman,” just like the original “Woman” — Eve (in Genesis). Mary is the New Eve. All of the Marian doctrines are inter-related!

1. John had two mothers: biological and divinely appointed.
  2. He was the “beloved disciple”
  3. He leaned close to Christ’s breast at the supper.

Most certainly he represents all believers, as Christ loves us and has given us a second - even primary - mother. In the Holy Eucharist, the divine supper, we do not lean close against His chest - He commands us to eat so that He may live within us!

Pretty amazing stuff.

John seemed gentle and young - to me.
Like Mary kneeling at Jesus feet listening -
So John had his head resting on the chest of Jesus.

But was appointed, it seems, as her caregiver.

I never thought of Mary as my mother…but she’s very powerful !
Our Lady of Guadeloupe !
Such a amazing event -

I actually went down to Mexico - and saw the 500 year old tunic !
It was very odd and exciting - Place was packed with non stop people !

I KNOW. Can you even imagine being able to do that? How blessed was he?

Hi, Clem!

Here’s the connection:

15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel.”
(Genesis 3)
17 And the dragon was angry against the woman: and went to make war with the rest of her seed, who keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. (Apocalypse [Revelation] 12)

It is the Battle of battles: Satan against God. The Virgin is God’s means to Incarnation; the Virgin is elevated by God’s Design to be the Queen whom is sought out by Satan and whose Offspring eradicates Satan’s hold; consequent, the Virgin is made into the mother of all of Jesus’ Followers, coinheritors of God’s Kingdom, which includes the Queen Mother.

John becomes the type for the Virgin’s other offspring/seed.

Maran atha!

Angel

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.