Does Judeo-Christian beliefs rise from other religions?

I was led to this video why tries to explain the “History of God”:

It mentions many of the ancient beliefs of the Babylonians and civilizations that “influenced” monotheistic Judaism.

youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg#t=152

What should I think of this video?

I think the following should answer your question:

catholic.com/tracts/is-catholicism-pagan

Peace,
Ed

I don’t think this answers the question at all. The OP seems to be asking about Semitic/Babylonian paganism’s purported effects on Israelite religion while your link involves European paganism’s purported effects on early Christianity.

Do a search on pagan origins of Judaism and pagans origins of Christianity. After reading a some of the articles you can make your own decision of what to think about it.

Many people throughout history have attempted to diminish Christianity in one way or another. Attacking its origins is a popular one. They twist history, sometimes not so subtly, to make it appear as if Christianity and Judaism were spawned from paganism when the opposite is true. Mithra is a go to for them but many real historians have discounted that and the other attempts.

It’s fun to keep up on the latest attacks hurled at us, just to see how far these folks will go, but I wouldn’t worry much about their deceit.

In a Catholic framework does it even matter if Babylonian or Canaanite paganism influenced Israelite religion? I understand Catholicism to have incorporated aspects of Greek philosophy into its theology where such can complement authentic truth. If it’s good enough for Hellenic/Roman Christianity why not for postexilic Judaism?

This whole repugnance of and looking down on “other religions” has no place in Catholic thought. We can respect and understand without accepting or fearing as God has given us all, everyone on earth, a desire and call which we respond to in imperfect ways.

One is the community of all peoples, one their origin, for God made the whole human race to live over the face of the earth. One also is their final goal, God. His providence, His manifestations of goodness, His saving design extend to all men, until that time when the elect will be united in the Holy City, the city ablaze with the glory of God, where the nations will walk in His light.
vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html

We have an advantage as Catholics, a faith in the light of Christ who calls us and sends us forth to share and assist others in their search. We need not fear any relationship with any religion as long as we know Christ.

Well, I think the main point of the video was to try and discredit monotheistic beliefs by showing the “man-made” origins of it. I was just trying to figure out if this video has any basis in truth, or is in fact an opinion.

Im sure im going to get the hammer brought down on this but i will say the truth.

It is possible on several levels to argue that Christianity (or more accurately Judaism) has a significant pagan influence. The most common method of doing this is through claiming that A. Christianity adopted Pagan practices in Europe, or B. That it is based on existing cults like those of Mithras or Horace.

I dont intend to use these because they arnt very good arguments.

A is very true of the cultural trappings of Christianity, peoples pagan culture didnt just go away, but the theological teaching of the church such as those in the Catechism dont seem to have much if any pagan influence.

B simply has no evidence to support it, and often is supported with distorted or even blatantly made up facts. Lots of religions have things in common.

And those things they have in common is where im going to start. While many (including me) argue that the widespread similarity in myths and religion world wide show means they are all in some way or another attempting to find divinity, there is an actual historical reason for these similarity.

Roughly 10,000 years ago a group called the Aryans left their homeland in central Turkey and spread out across Eurasia, from India to Ireland. Their language mixed with the ones already present and became the basis for all languages from Belfast to Bangladesh and they brought elements of their culture too. Most pagan religions west of Tibet can be traced back to their dietys, the archetypes of the Ind0-Aryan religions family, which included Hinduism, as well as Sumerian, Babylonian, Egyptian, Greco-Roman, Celtic, Slavic, and Germanic Paganism.

So where does Judeo-Christian religion come in? Well the first reference to YHWH on the Archeological record actually predates the Jews. YHWH was the head of the pantheon of, get this, the Canaanites, the very people God commands to be massacred in the bible. If Abraham existed, he lived in a time period when YHWH was already actively worshiped in the region. Its totally possible that Judaism is a offshoot of the Canaanite religion that became focused on YHWH alone. By this vein you could actually argue that Judeism, and by extension christianity, came from the same distant ancestor as Hinduism and Western Paganism.

The second possibility is what is talked about in your video, the Babylonian captivity. The fact that 7 was holy to the Babylonians before it was to the Jews, or that it was in Babylon where the Jews wrote a flood story very similar to the per-existent epic of Gilgamesh.

Religions mingle and change over time, its natural, and to think it dosnt happen requires quite a bit of blind faith.

Yeah, I don’t understand the claim the YHWH was the God of War or some offshoot.

So is the history in the video considered real?

Nope is just another attempt to discredit Christianity.

The problem arises not even 5 minutes into the video.
I need according to them throw away the historicity of the Bible and take as gospel the history found in the library of Asurbanipal.
So there was no monotheistic Judaism and Abraham was non existant.

The problem we have is that there is no one presently still following the polyteist teachings of the Babilonians whom I should point out took the Israelites into slavery twice and yet they somehow retained monotheism all along while the pantheism of Babilonia was buried in the dust where that library was also found.
Hmmm I will keep the Bible thank you very much and I will keep Jesus also…

I just wante to make a general point about the similarities in various world religions. Remember, all men have a common origin in Adam and Eve, so all shared the same original, primordial religion. But, because of original sin, this became distorted and often misdirected toward idols, etc., but remnants of the original source no doubt remained. Likewise, the Fathers often talk about the “spermatic Word”–the seed of truth implanted in all men, but without grace and the Holy Spirit was seen darkly and distortedly.

The similarity in religions, therefore, reflects both man’s common origin as well as the universality of the Word.

Likewise, there is nothing wrong with the People of God learning from different cultures and incorporating the good things in different cultures and there’s nothing wrong with admitting this has happened historically (I couldn’t watch the video so I’m not sure if what is being alleged there is true or not). Pope Pius XII explained this well in his encyclical on the missions, Evangelii Praecones, noting how this was done in the OT as well as the Christian Church:

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Yes, as far as Archeologists can tell, YHWH was likely the primary god of all the Semitic peoples, which includes the Jews, Canaanites, and Assyrians who diverged from their cousins in Palestine some time well before but whos dietys bear similar attributes.

You brought this video up before. It is just a big misinterpretation of the Truth.

I do believe that God used cosmologies which the Israelites would have
been familiar with to describe the Truth. The Babylonians surely did not
have an influence over the Jews’ monotheism, not at all.

The atheist has an agenda, a preconceived intent to dis-
prove \Christianity, but he’s not being honest about it, at
least no honest with himself.

No. Christianity arises from the Resurrection of Jesus.

See this video on the Resurrection
youtube.com/watch?v=ay_Db4RwZ_M

Pre Christian Judaism arose from God choosing them and setting them apart from the other nations.

Surrounding religions did influence the Jews negatively. As many Jews fell into idolatry. However, Judaism is Monotheistic, whereas the religion of the Babylonians , Egyptians and others were polytheistic. Yet orthodox Jews maintained there was only one God. Also, Judaism influenced other religions.

Just because something has similarities does not mean it comes from it. Also look up fallacy by association or correlation.

A point also to be made is that in all the different religions across the world the Judeo-Christian is the only one that since it’s beginning when God chose Abram to make with him the covenant remained faithfull to one God which is not made of earthly materials.
But the concept instead that a living God that permeates the whole creation and whom loved human kind so much that in order to rescue it was willing to become man Himself.

Look at all the other religions, they all manifest deities that need to be placated by offerings and sacrifices, even human sacrifices.
This is true of MesoAmerica, Europe, Asia and the Pacific region.

In contrast to that, we have; Jesus, God made man, that allowed Himself to be killed by humans, talk about role reversal here.

In pagan religions you see gods killing gods, gods killing humans but humans killing gods? :bigyikes:
Unheard off.

So where is the root for such a radical belief?
It’s a 180 degree opposite to what you can see in the other religions. It is such a radical departure from what is the “norm” that any one trying to sell that idea might as well claim that white is actually black and viceversa! :rolleyes:

My read on it was kind of different from the posts I’ve seen here. The first, and subsequent three videos, are about the question of the concept of God and his scholastic understanding of how that developed. It is not at all specifically about christianism and what in the OP might better be called the Abrahamic religions.

It seems to me, as well, that someone who is considering a sincere inquiry from the necessary point of view of their particular experience may not be “attacking” anyone’s belief of any religious stripe whatsoever. If anyone bothered to view the whole set of videos, he is interested in an evidentiary, not faith based inquiry. His exposition is not couched in terms of “You’re wrong!” but of “I found.”

While the referenced article makes good points about logic, parallels, and sequiturs, it is not to the point of the content of the video referred to in the OP. It also assumes that credulity given to an alternate interpretation of history is an attack. It isn’t. It is necessary critical inquiry. Also, it is somewhat purist in that while the distinctions of separate arrisals may be the case, in fact nothing happens by itself. And as is true of any history dispensed by any institution, especially one that is scrupulous in its intellectual parsings, that of the Church would appear to be seamless unless inquired into in some depth.

But that is a scholastic matter, and schooling, as we see with our political friends in the red states, appears to be at a level commensurate with the poverty found there. And yet faith rules the day with such as the West Borough Bible Church. I’m just saying that a healthy dose of critical thinking might be on the same plate as even a very reasonable faith. And that neither schooling nor precepts ought trump Love as an experience.

… Im going to respond to that out of the blue remark by stating that all of Americas major centers of poverty such as Detroit, New York, LA, and Miami are overwhelmingly blue and have been for decades.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.