Does lack of knowledge make sacraments invalid?

I was not properly catechised in school when we recieved First Communion and Confirmation. Our teaching was very liberal and I don’t think I even knew what the sacraments were? Have I received these properly?

Yes, you have. The sacraments are valid.

I don’t think I knew anything about the sacraments:confused:

No John. Infants are baptized, chrismated, and given eucharist in the Eastern Catholic Churches and the Orthodox Church. It is possible for infants to receive the sacraments of initiation in the Latin Rite also when there is danger of death.

Sacramental validity does NOT hinge on your knowledge.

You seem to be very worried and have asked multiple questions convinced your sacraments were somehow invalid. I suggest you talk to your pastor to put your mind at ease.

Yes they are valid, the only exception is if you go to a priest and are not really sorry for your sins you are not forgiven even if you hoodwink the priest.

This is what I’ve come to know as well, however…

marriage is a sacrament, and I was just reading about annulments- IS marriage valid if someone doesn’t understand it? Or is it that it did not take place? (Annulment is not a dissolution or an exclusion from a sacrament but saying it never took place to begin with.) So, with that, how is Holy Communion or Baptism or Confirmation different? Is it with knowledge, now comes true intent, thereby making it valid?

Marriage is a sacrament that takes place between God and a man and a woman. It has the character of requiring consent by the man and woman to various vows, not just having it happen.

Baptism and Communion are pretty much all God, along with the priest.

I think the only requirement is that the priest made the proper signs during the sacraments. There is something of a formula they have to follow. If it was not followed, they might be invalid in the eyes of the Church. I’ve never heard of this happening though, even in liberal parishes, so your sacraments are most likely valid. Generally, if there was no specific evidence they were invalid, I think the Church would assume they are valid.

Another thing I read a while back is that the spiritual benefits of Confirmation are suspended if you were not in a state of grace when you first received the sacrament. In this case, you would still be “marked” by the sacrament but not get the expected benefits. Unlike Confession (First Communion), Confirmation is a one time only sacrament, so you don’t have to be confirmed a second time. Simply going to Confession (and returning to a state of grace) would bring all the normal benefits of the sacrament.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.