Does Mary watch?

I know we all know that Mary is not God and all that. Last night when I was at RCIA, I asked the deacon who was there speaking to us that when we actually pray to Mary and the saints, do they REALLY hear us? I told him that when I pray to them, I always think, ‘well, it’s God who hears me, not the saints and Mary!’ and he told me something like it’s God who lets them hear us, etc.

Now, my question about Mary is that, even though she’s not God, does she still constantly watch over us or does she only pray for us and with us if we ask her to pray? I mean, let’s say I don’t pray to her for a couple days because maybe I forgot to pray. Would she still be watching over or is it us that gets her attention through God? Do I make sense?

[quote=Paris Blues]Now, my question about Mary is that, even though she’s not God, does she still constantly watch over us or does she only pray for us and with us if we ask her to pray? I mean, let’s say I don’t pray to her for a couple days because maybe I forgot to pray. Would she still be watching over or is it us that gets her attention through God? Do I make sense?
[/quote]

If I understand the question you’re asking, “Does Mary only become aware of our needs when we ask, because God is the one who reveals them to her?”

No. Just as we have the ability to pray to the Saints through God, Who will make them aware of our needs, the Saints can ask God to make them aware of others’ needs whether we have asked them or not. Mary, being our Spiritual Mother, is deeply concerned about every person on earth. In addition, she has Eternity to pray for us. So, through her communion with God, is aware of the needs of everyone on earth and will pray for us.

So whether you’re Catholic or not, or whether you’re Christian or non-Christian, Mary and the saints pray for us?

So they do pray for us whether we pray to them or not, right if I’m understanding?

[quote=Paris Blues]So whether you’re Catholic or not, or whether you’re Christian or non-Christian, Mary and the saints pray for us?

So they do pray for us whether we pray to them or not, right if I’m understanding?
[/quote]

Yes, that is correct. Just as we, the Faithful on earth, pray for all people, so do the Saints in Heaven. They have the advantage of being able to do so much more thoroughly, because not only do they have all the time in the world, through God they know our deepest needs.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.