Does Mary's reference to Jesus as "Her Son" indicate pride?

The reality is Mary is God’s daughter and a creature of God, not the other way around. Does her referencing Jesus as “her Son” indicate possessiveness and pride? Should Mary call Jesus, Jesus? For if it was never planned that Jesus become incarnate, she would have been born with sin and furthermore not been redeemed?

Really? A mother has no right to called the son she has conceived and born and nurtured hers because he is both God and man? What should she call him? Fred? Please. :rolleyes:

If Mary had not said yes to God we wouldn’t have had Jesus at all. It was God’s plan that Mary be conceived without sin and be full of grace in preparation for her becoming the Theotokos. Of course, she should call Jesus her son, for so he was and so he is and so he will ever be. What pride is there in simply saying what is true?

False modesty is what you want her to have, not true humility that recognizes that she was a “lowly handmaid” of God. Never did she display any sort of overweaning pride or conceit. Nor was she merely a “vessel”. She was a woman with free will and desired nothing except to love and serve God. Any suggest otherwise is frankly crass and uncalled for.

No. He was her son…and The Son. Both. Not one or the other. God and Man.

That was God’s call. He could have just poofed into existence, if He chose to. Yet He chose to be born…to the Blessed Virgin Mary, His mother.

She is the mother of Jesus, a person who is both human and divine. Mary is the Theotokos, Mother of God.

To say otherwise is the Nestorian heresy, dealt with long ago.

No, it inidicates a fact.

She certainly can call him Jesus, as that is his name. She can also call him her son, because that is what he is.

We deal with what is, not what might have been. And, what might or might not have been have no bearing on the fact that Jesus is indeed Mary’s son.

But He was and is her son.

Well yes, Jesus is of course Marys son in a very literal and earthly sense, but what about in a spiritual sense? Is Mary on equal level with God or is she still a creature of God?

Even Pope Francis describes himself as “a sinner redeemed by God” when he can just say “Im the Pope. Head of the Church.” So yes while that is true, he chose to describe himself differently, so that other humans can relate.

I was reading Marys words from the apparitions of La Salette and she talks about how we can never understand or repay her for what she has endured in stopping her Son’s heavy arm, despite how unceasingly one might pray and do good works… Essentially saying it will never compare or be as much as shes done (which might be true but this isnt a contest). I read it in a tone of bragging.

PS, I mean NO disrespect to Blessed Virgin, I am speaking theoretically I think or trying to understand better. Thanks.

Pope Francis is a sinner. Mary was not.

She never claimed herself equal to God. She said she was the “handmaid” of the Lord!

In Spanish, the word Mary uses to describe herself actually translates as “**slave **of the Lord”!

Mary is the most humble person who probably ever walked the face of the earth!

Anytime she had honor, she always reflected it back to God, ALWAYS!

Looking at her is looking at a mirror of God. She merely reflects.

Hence, Mary can call Jesus her son, because he is.

As you know, the Church does not teach Mary is equal with God. Neither the Church nor Mary claim otherwise.

Private revelations are just that, private. They are not part of the deposit of faith.

Mary calling Jesus “her Son” is no more possessive than me calling him ‘my God’.

We worship a God that tells us to take his body, blood, and divinity, and consume it. We’re not dealing with an aloof teacher. He is a God that seeks unfathomable intimacy with us, and we can say ‘my God’ in the full knowledge that he delights in our taking possession of Him.

Of course she’s not equal to God. She never made such a claim and neither does the Church. Why would you even think such a thing?

Even Pope Francis describes himself as “a sinner redeemed by God” when he can just say “Im the Pope. Head of the Church.” So yes while that is true, he chose to describe himself differently, so that other humans can relate.

No matter how he wishes to describe himself, he is still the pope. He accepted the office, he can’t escape the fact nor is he merely by identifying himself with the rest of us. Mary, although not sinful, called herself “the lowly handmaid of the Lord” and she was, but she was more than this because God exalted her, not because she exalted herself. God can and does exalt whom he pleases because it pleases him to do so.

I was reading Marys words from the apparitions of La Salette and she talks about how we can never understand or repay her for what she has endured in stopping her Son’s heavy arm, despite how unceasingly one might pray and do good works… Essentially saying it will never compare or be as much as shes done (which might be true but this isnt a contest). I read it in a tone of bragging.

La Salette is a private revelation, and although approved by the Church, is not part of the public revelation of the Church. Still, in simply stating what is true about herself, Mary is not bragging anymore than Moses who wrote how he pleaded with God on behalf of Israel when God wanted to destroy his people and found a new people with Moses. Many people have been intercessors with God and have certainly undergone trials and sufferings that most of us will not be called upon to undergo. The same with all the great Saints in history. But, we follow their example and ask their prayers because they stand in the gap for us, praying for us and aiding us. This is part of their being members of the Church Triumphant with us on earth members of the Church Militant and all of us a part of the Communion of Saints. Jesus promised his disciples that they would do “greater things than these” referring to his earthly works of healing and so forth because they would go into the whole world to spread his Gospel. It is not bragging for the saints that fulfilled his commission to say that accomplished God’s will in their lives. All the merits they earned were earned by God working in and through them so all the glory goes back to God.

PS, I mean NO disrespect to Blessed Virgin, I am speaking theoretically I think or trying to understand better. Thanks.

Well, you have phrased your questions rather unfortunately–as if Mary owed you (or us) an explanation. Do you really think she does? If so, you have the wrong end of the stick here. Her holiness is unquestionable. To even hint otherwise is bound to offend no matter what you intended.

This brings to mind a cute story
Our Adoration Chapel features a stained glass picture of Mary kneeling ,head bowed in prayer.This is just to the left of the chapel door.
Inside the chapel,on a wall directly opposite of the entrance is a large stained glass window,depicting Christ,in the Garden if Olives.
The coordinator of the chapel,took a picture of the satained glass depicting Mary for a prayer card.When the picture was developed,the image of Christ appeared on Mary’s veil.
My first thought upon seeing this picture…Mary REALLY is all about leading us to her Son!:wink:

Hard to follow your rather disjointed thoughts here. What Catholic belief exactly are you -]attacking/-] challenging?

1. Mary is the Mother of Jesus.
  2. Jesus is God.
  3. Therefore, Mary is the Mother of God.

If Jesus did not become man, then none of us would be redeemed. But that’s not how God worked things out.

This is a private revelation and is not binding upon any of the Catholic faithful. Be safe! If private revelations bother you, stick with the Catechism.

Actually “my God” is a totally humbling statement. It shows that you yourself are not God or a god and that you answer to someone higher than yourself.

In regards to La Salette, Im not doubting what Mary has endured, but she is calling attention to it when we are told to do good things and to expect no reward or recognition for it. Calling attention to good deeds and placing those sacrifices higher than anyone elses, even though true, does not appear to be an act of humility.

Wow! That’s neat! :thumbsup:

And here is the problem. Things are not always what they appear to be. There is a larger context in which the totality of the private revelation occurred. Those to whom the revelation was not directed may easily misinterpret the meaning of the revelation.

Why would you doubt Mary’s humility? What is leading you in this direction? To me, that is much more disturbing - and worthy of investigation.

What is Mary expected to do, lie? Say Jesus was not her Son when referring to him?

No, it just felt as I read La Salette that she flaunted her title as Mother of God. i dont know why I did, I love Mary but I read it that way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.