Does mortal sin cut on off from all grace?

Hi,

I was baptized in the Episcopal church as a kid but fell away from the faith in high school. Recently I had a second conversion, and am trying to convert to Catholicism. I have been praying the rosary often, but recently I read that if one has unconfessed mortal sin, which I have a lot of, one is cut off from grace. Does that mean there isn’t any point in my praying the rosary until I’ve gone to my first proper confession? If my connection to God is truly severed, I figure I must be wasting a lot of breath. But at the same time, this may be my Protestant background speaking, but it seems incredibly cruel to suggest that God shuts the door in our face until we confess our sins in the proper way. Contemplating this fact has caused a great deal of existential panic for me, but I also considered that since being brought to the true Church itself must count as a grace, I can’t see how it could have come to me if mortal sin cuts us off from grace. I hope I haven’t sounded like another attack-mode person on these forums, but I’m anxious to become a part of the Church but still confused and not infrequently offended by many of the rules. I assume this is ignorance on my part, thus my asking the question…

Dear friend,

It is true that the Catholic Church teaches that one mortal sin renders one incapable of any personal merit. But should one make a perfect act of contrition, one’s mortal sin will be forgiven. The problem here is that one can’t be sure that one’s motive of contrition is completely pure of self-interest and totally out of love for God. With the sacrament, we know we are forgiven even if our contrition is motivated by self-interest.

But mortal sin cannot prohibit God from giving grace. The very grace of repentance is just that: a grace. God does not stop loving us when we sin mortally against him. We are the ones who have stopped loving in such an instance
God is merciful and loves you. If you intend to seek absolution as soon as you can and try to make as perfect and act of contrition as you can, you can trust in His infinite mercy. Your sins have not cut off His mercy. You are in our prayers. Be at peace.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.