Does my current marriage need to be blessed by the Church?

Hello! I will be welcomed into the Church on Easter Vigil. My wife is not Catholic and doesn’t plan on becoming Catholic in the near future. We were both raised in a Protestant background. Our actual marriage certificate is from a Courthouse (I’m in the military and had to get a “legal” wedding to make sure she was on my orders.) We did, however have a church wedding several months later. Because I was not Catholic at the time, and my wife is not Catholic, my question is: Does my marriage need to be blessed by the Church or re-accomplished before I can partake in the sacraments? Or is my marriage considered valid in the eyes of the Church as it stands now? Thanks so much!

Hi

The Catholic Church recognizes marriages between non-Catholics to be valid. So you don’t have to worry about your marriage as you enter the Catholic Church. Welcome home!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.