Does obama have absolute moral characgter?

Hi am reposting this under a new title. Didn’t get much response the first time around. Let’s see if this helps.

Has moral character changed? Is moral character an abosolute? Take a look at this artcle from only as far back as 2995 regarding Tom Ridge, govenor of PA.

In comparison to this what do you think bo’s purpose was in keeping his invitation to NDU?

Written byPaul Kenger
Thursday May 14, 2009 13:56

"In May 1995, his first year as Pennsylvania governor, Tom Ridge was invited by Gannon University, a Catholic college in Erie, Pa., to give the commencement address and receive an honorary degree. But the distinguished Republican and native son had a problem: he was a pro-choice Catholic. Erie Bishop Donald Trautman expressed his “concerns.” Governor Ridge declined the degree.“The last thing I would want is for those differences to distract in any way from this wonderful day of recognition for Gannon’s class of 1995,” said Ridge. His spokesman explained that the decision “came from the governor.”

Mr Kenger wrote on to suggest in quite clear tones, that the present POTUS does not have the same strength of character the PA Guv. Tom Ridge did.

I think this is clearly another indiction that bo is a divider, to any and all. This man is a thrreat to all we believe, not only as Catholics, but as U.S. citizens.

for more info. on the article by Paul Kenger go to the following:

bullypulpit.com/index.php?opt…blog&Itemid=70

hmmm… it could be that Mr. Kenger calls “strength of character” any decision he agrees with, and in contrast, any decision he disagrees with could be faulted for lacking good character.

I’m not familiar with the Gannon University situation, but certainly it has a lower profile than Notre Dame. Tom Ridge’s decision was perfectly fine, but I don’t see how it places Obama’s decision in a poor light. Yes, the local bishop expressed concerns in both cases, but Notre Dame has a national stature which extends beyond the diocese.

And what difference does a University having a higher/lower profile have to do with character and morals? You don’t see that Tom Ridge took a higher moral stance than bo? Tom Ridge made his decision on the overall picture, of how it would effect what was to be a group of student’s fine day after many years of work. bo didn’t really care. He showed, gave his devisive speech, congratulated himself, I am sure on his job done, and left the University and students/parents not in unity, but just the opposite.

Yeah, but Obama made Georgetown cover up “IHS”.

Not only is he immoral, but he is un American, and un Constitutional.

No, he didn’t. Georgetown was uncertain whether his instructions to cover up university insignia included something so high above the podium, but they didn’t bother to check with the White House. The White House gave vague instructions and Georgetown gave them a rather extreme interpretation.

Un-American? Un-Constitutional?

Would you care to explain those comments?

That is what he said, but we don’t know whether it would have been true. What we do know is that President Obama was enthusiastically recieved by Notre Dame students at their graduation.

Ridge’s cancellation of his invitation was reported by a legitimate newsperson.

As far as being enthusiastically received at NDU, I can’t think of anytime in present history when almost 3000 supposedly “intelligent” people/graduates have been so fooled and have so misunderstood Church teaching. And they matriculated frrom a “supposedly” catholic university. Heartbreaking. So much for the higher drive toward morality by most of those who graduated from this once Catholic University this year.

A TRUTH IS A TRUTH EVEN IF NO ONE BELIEVES IT
A LIE IS A LIE EVEN IF EVERYONE BELIEVES IT

If you ask me, anyone who is pro-abortion has poor moral character.

In past ages character was viewed as essential to leading a good life. Now, instead of moral rectitude we look mostly to intelligence as the key factor. We no longer care about loyalty, honesty, fortitude, and the like. It is all about how smart some person is perceived or how well they communicate to the masses.

So, for an example, we may have a person who appears smarter than some, speaks better than some, and that carries the day. Charisma trumps virtue.

Tom Ridge is a Catholic and is obliged to help make the Church’s moral teachings on abortion clear to the world. This can include declining an honorary degree from a Catholic university to avoid giving the appearance that the Church sanctions the positions he takes as a politician.

Barack Obama is not a Catholic and is thus not so obliged.

Respect for life is not only a sectarian belief, but it is known through human reason. The problem is many refuse to accept that truth for various reasons.

wapsi;

No, he didn’t. Georgetown was uncertain whether his instructions to cover up university insignia included something so high above the podium, but they didn’t bother to check with the White House. The White House gave vague instructions and Georgetown gave them a rather extreme interpretation.

“In coordinating the logistical arrangements for the event, Georgetown honored the **White House staff’s request to cover all of the Georgetown University signage and symbols **behind the Gaston Hall stage in order to accommodate a backdrop of American flags, consistent with other policy speeches,” said Julie Green Bataille, associate vice president for communications at Georgetown.

“Georgetown officials did not respond to the question of whether there were similar requests for past presidential speeches.”

And let’s not forget about how he lied about bowing to a Saudi Prince either.

Un-American? Un-Constitutional?

Would you care to explain those comments?

Taking over private businesses? Bowing to other leaders? Mandating business standards? Federal moneies for immoral research? Refusal to cover his heart for the Pledge? Shall I go on?

I would say Barack Obama is an evil man. Anyone who supports infanticide and unlimited abortion is either ignorant or evil.

The fact that he would support the murder of his grandchildren so that his daughters wouldn’t be “punished” by a baby, seals the deal for me. Evil.

God Bless

Amen to this!! I totally agree and its no wonder that Obama is so willing to destroy our nation from within as well. When he’s not willing to stand up and fight for the most basic of human rights…why would it surprise anyone that he does not stand up for anything else DECENT and RIGHT!?

Yes, exactly. The White House did not instruct Georgetown to cover the IHS symbol, which was well above the podium and not in the line of sight for most photos. Georgetown interpreted the White House instruction to include covering up the IHS symbol. A little coordination (or more precise instructions from the White House) would have avoided the whole kerfuffle.

Respect for life might be known through human reason, but belief that that an embryo just after conception has equal rights to a late-term fetus, infant, or adult human is a religious idea only.

Even throughout the history of the Catholic Church’s doctrine, the point wherein an unborn fetus is ensouled has swung from the quickening back to conception – so a universal proscription against abortion is patently not a truth knowable “through human reason” alone. It took combined revelations of science and faith for the current Catholic teaching to become clear.

I cannot see how you hold that notion? When does a human acquire right to life?

Even throughout the history of the Catholic Church’s doctrine, the point wherein an unborn fetus is ensouled has swung from the quickening back to conception – so a universal proscription against abortion is patently not a truth knowable “through human reason” alone. It took combined revelations of science and faith for the current Catholic teaching to become clear.

That is the usual propaganda the anti life folks put out there. The Church has always condemned abortion as seriously evil. The only “change” has been in the scientific understanding of embryology.

Yes, the Church has always condemned abortion as a sin. No, the Church has not always considered abortion to be homicide (i.e. the destruction of a human soul). Even Aquinas thought ensoulment happened well after conception.

Essentially it’s the difference between “contraception is a sin” and “murder is a sin.” Would you agree with this sentiment?

I would say Barack Obama is an evil man. Anyone who supports condom use and unlimited birth control pills is either ignorant or evil.

It is unreasonable to claim that human reason and moral sense alone dictate belief in a universal prohibition of abortion, and it is also unreasonable to expect a non-Catholic to hold Catholic beliefs on ensoulment at conception.

I have no disagreement with believing he is in error, just with characterizations of him as an innately evil person because of this particular difference.

No, why should any private organization cover up anything, because the President requests it? That request should have never been made, and Georgetown should burn for covering up their symbols! That is no longer a Catholic university. They made their choice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.