Does one get any spiritual graces from watching the Mass on television if one cannot attend daily Mass?

Hi everyone. Does one get any spiritual graces from watching the daily Mass on television if one cannot attend the daily Mass? :shrug::confused:

No.

You receive graces from making acts of spiritual communions, of which you can make as many as you wish throughout the day.

Yes. Here are a couple of answers from the EWTN Q&A website.

Question from on 02-16-2002:
If one cannot attend daily Mass at the local church is watching the daily Mass on EWTN the same thing (with the obvious exception of receiving communion)?

Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 02-21-2002:
One’s participation in the sacrifice or in communion can only be “spiritual,” but not sacramental. There is an objective difference between sacramental participating in the Mass and viewing it. For the homebound, they can expect God to be generous with His grace, and subjectively, the spiritual participation of someone watching may be greater and more efficacious for holiness than the sacramental participation of someone present at Mass with less devotion, but all things being equal they are not the same.

TV Mass and blessings
Question from on 12-22-2003:
Im sure this has been asked before but I can’t find the answer. Do we get credit for watching Mass on TV and do we receive blessings when given? Thanks.
Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 01-06-2004:
Just as you cannot receive absolution except in person (e.g. not over the phone, or by letter etc.; the Holy See has rule at least twice on this point), you cannot participate in the Mass sacramentally by radio or television. Yes, your devout remote participation is meritorious and pleasing to God if you cannot get to Mass (and He no doubt will give you some special grace as a result), but it does not suffice for the graces of sacramental participation, or for fulfilling the obligation to participate sacramentally in the Holy Sacrifice on Sundays or Holy Days of Obligation. This is inherent, for example, in the fact that we speak of making a “spiritual” communion, as opposed to a “sacramental” communion, for those who view and listen to the Mass, or who make such “communions” during the day outside of Mass.
With regard to the blessing, Pope Pius XI ruled, at the time of the invention of radio, that blessings could be received live by electronic means. However, a taped blessing is only a record of a live blessing not an actual blessing. So, if you watch a Mass live you would be blessed at the time of the blessing, but if you watched it on replay you would not, since a priest is not actually giving a blessing at that time.

Yes,

anyone who makes a spiritual communion with Jesus will receive His Love and Graces.

**When i was in prison, i could not attend Mass regularly, but i listened to Holy Mass on the radio every day and i surely received the Grace of Jesus Christ!
The Most Holy Mass, even on TV is still a miracle where we share in the suffering death and Resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and are united in praise and prayer withall of His Saints, Angels and followers here on earth!!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

This sounds like the same thing as praying for a “spiritual communion” in the heart, something I think St. Francis de Sales encouraged.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.