Does one have to be conscious to receive absolution?

If a person is,say, sick, in a coma, otherwise not able to understand, can that person receive absolution? I know the priest can grant absolution without the requirement of hearing confession in unusual circumstances.

If a person is,say, sick, in a coma, otherwise not able to understand, can that person receive absolution? I know the priest can grant absolution without the requirement of hearing confession in unusual circumstances.

The Church teaches that The Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick forgives sins for those who are unconscious and unable to confess them. However, this is not it's principal effect.

Yes, a person must confess their sins to receive absolution. They cannot confess if they are unconcious.

From the Catechism, paragraph 1532 (and I have highlighted the relevant bit in bold type):

The special grace of the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick has as its effects:
[LIST]
]the uniting of the sick person to the passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church;
*]the strengthening, peace, and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings of illness or old age;
*]
the forgiveness of sins, if the sick person was not able to obtain it through the sacrament of Penance;*
*]the restoration of health, if it is conducive to the salvation of his soul;
*]the preparation for passing over to eternal life.
[/LIST]

Is forgiveness of sins the same as absolution?

The term absolution normally refers, IMS, to forgiveness via the Sacrament of Penance. For that, you need your consciousness, as you can’t speak or hear while unconscious.

As someone has noted however, you could receive forgiveness via Anointing, where no consciousness is needed.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.