Does or can romantic love last forever?

Many Catholics, thinking of Christ’s response to the Sadducees in Matthew 22:23-33 would probably say “no.” Doesn’t Christ tell the Sadducees, who seek to outsmart him by disproving the resurrection, that “in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.”

Jesus effectively tells them: it doesn’t matter that this hypothetical woman had seven husbands who died without leaving a single heir. Obviously, she can’t be married to all of them in the afterlife. But Jesus explains, she won’t actually be married to any of them, because marital relations represent a social pact of this world, not the heavenly realm.

There may, however, be a bit more going on in this passage. Both Matthew and Mark emphasize that the seventh husband has no child with the woman. But that point doesn’t actually add anything to the Sadducees’ question. Why is it there? If the last husband had indeed enjoyed descendants with the woman, would it change the dynamic? For the Sadducees, no, since their point is already made with seven men married to the same woman. For Jesus, it’s safe to assume, his point about there being no marriage in heaven remains regardless of the exact nature of that last marriage. Yet Matthew’s and Mark’s accounts both provide the detail. I suspect the reason for this might be because romantic love does indeed transcend our earthly existence in some respects.

Remembering the famous Thomistic aphorism of grace building upon nature, the proposition that romantic love might in some sense continue on into heaven seems fitting. If I found my wife uniquely beautiful and attractive, if we in our first meetings, and many meetings thereafter, form a deep, wholly unique interpersonal connection, would it not seem reasonable to presume that such connections find their fulfillment, rather than their conclusion, before the eternal throne of God?
My question is what’s left for me to hold on to in my relationship between my wife and me?

The reason that there is no “marrying or giving in marriage” in Heaven is because there will no longer be a reason for a man and woman to be joined in Heaven. We will no longer be able to produce any children, so the family as we know it on earth will not exist in the same way in Heaven. But, that doesn’t mean that we will no longer love our spouse (or spouses), or our children, as much as we love them on earth. Our love for one another will grow even stronger, but it will be changed. In Heaven, we will all be part of God’s family. We will all be His children. I have no idea what that might mean for our personal relationships, but it will be immensely better than the love we share, here on earth. Infinitely better!

Hmm… I’m kinda glad marriage ends in death.

I love my wife, I’m not always attracted to her though, she makes me happy otherwise, but I’m kinda okay with until death do us apart because marriage and raising a family is a lot of work…

I think everyone will be so focused on Christ everything else will become secondary and I think we will have the ability to love everyone appropriately.

Just because your focus may be on God doesn’t mean you will lose who you are. Love doesn’t disappear

I have no doubt that our affection (I think that what you are talking about) will continue, as it is a part of us. I do not know if there is any doctrine on this though.

I know that many men - die before their wives do.
Study research said men die ( after decades of research ) was because men wanted to. :sweat_smile:

My advice - read the Song of Songs - in the bible - maybe it has an answer you can hold on to -

I think that relationship will be perfected and will continue. I agree with this:

I mean, our relationships, both romantic and friendships are not destroyed when we enter heaven. They are an essential part of who we are.

Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. 7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end.

My experience with romantic love has been ripe with spiritual warfare so I do think there is an eternal aspect to romance but I think emphasis on Christ is paramount. So whether or not we have soul mates or eternal loves or whatever is something I ponder but my relationships have had a lot of the devil too so maybe I’m not there yet but that is my experience. Also the family reflects the trinity so that is an important aspect of possible romantic love resulting in a family. Which is a spirititual strength. Christ is paramount nonetheless.

Also the cooperative aspects of creating new souls with God that last forever. Partaking in his nature to create life. Sex is a really big deal.

:flushed: Wow.

Hope your wife never sees that. You make it sound like a prison sentence you will be released from.

Yep…

I’m certain it will shave off some Purgatory time… :fire::fire::persevere::fire::fire:

Also the feeling is probably mutual some days.
:unamused::smoking:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.