Does our guardian angel ever leave our side?

I have just listened to a podcast from EWTN and it was mentioned that the only time our guardian angels can be in the presence of Christ is when we go to church where Christ is always present in the Blessed Sacrament and when we receive the Eucharist. So obviously, the speaker is saying that our guardian angels never leave our side.

But with this bible verse in mind 'See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven are continually in the presence of my Father in heaven." (Mt 18, 10) I always thought that at times our angels make a quick visit to heaven and see the Father. I would think that maybe this verse means that they are always at our side and therefore not physically in the presence of God but since they are angels and without sin they are nevertheless always connected to God and in contact with Him. But this can’t be right either, because angels do not have a physical body.

What do you think?

There is no time in Heaven like there is here.

An angel can go from here to Heaven and back quicker than you can blink your eye.

It seems to me that they are already in Heaven (seeing God face to face) while they are at our side.

Heaven is a place, not a space. By that I mean it is not constricted by the laws of matter.

The Guardian Angel’s mission is to be by our side night and day from birth to death, as the prayer says. They cannot be two places at once, but as the previous poster said they are spirits so they can be to heaven in back in a nanosecond, and they have a superior intellect to that of humans, so surely they can do things we can’t even imagine. I never heard that the Guardian Angels can leave us when we are before the Blessed Sacrament, because that is the Real Presence after all.

“Presence” and “connection” are not the same for non-bodies as for the human being. I wouldn’t spend too much time trying to solve this one.

ICXC NIKA

Not being a expert but if angels are “messengers” between heaven and earth, then could it be that they inhabit both heaven-space and earth-space at the same time? I dont mean to sound direspectful, using the analogy of an electronic router plugged into a LAN and a WAN, but I imagine that they could be a being with two interfaces: one in heaven and one in earth. In that way when they pray with us they are also carrying the message or prayer to God at the same time.

“See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven are continually in the presence of my Father in heaven.” (Mt 18, 10)

I understood that our guardian angels spend time with us and time in the presence of the Father each day. When I pray I mention this to God before reciting the ‘Angel of God’ prayer.

The key word in the quote from Matthew is ‘continually’. My Little Oxford Dictionary defines ‘continual’ as ‘frequently recurring’ and ‘always happening’. From this I would say that the passage means that our angels are in the presence of God frequently, I would think a lot of the time each day.

Our prayers are taken up to Heaven by the angels so perhaps the more we have to say to God each day (‘pray continually’) the more our angels get to see God face to face.

That’s not what the speaker from EWTN meant. He said our angels can only be in the presence of Christ when we take them to church where Jesus is in the Blessed Sacrament because they never leave our side and therefore cannot go to heaven to see Christ directly.

:shrug:

Does our guardian angel ever leave our side?

I hope so because I ask mine to do a lot like watch over me and protect my home while I’m gone :wink:

I know this question is not so important and my faith does not depend on it but when I heard it yesterday I became curious and thought I’d ask.

In any way, I know that time and space etc. have a different meaning for them but even if they would be seperated from us for moments, I’m absolutely sure that we would not be left unprotected and that they could still hear us when we address them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.