Does personal preference come into play in receiving Holy Communion?

**The original question steems from a personal preference to receive Jesus on the tongue and kneeling.

His pastor accused him of doing so out of personal pride. He is requesting impute as what other Catholic do and why?**

We aren’t talking about the fact that you have a preference for kneeling and receiving on the tongue, but rather the fact that you refuse assent to the Church’s teaching on the matter.

The Church teaches that we may receive standing (that it is the norm in the US), and that we may receive on the hand (i.e., there is nothing theologically prohibiting it).

The US Bishops have set the norm for standing-- but you refuse (even though you can’t be refused Communion, there is still an act of rejecting the US norms) And, when the Bishop asked everyone to receive on the hand for a couple of weekends, you actively refused.

So, if the Church teaches it’s not wrong, and the Church has authority over us to make the rules of posture and asks us to be obedient to them, as yourself why you refuse. Is it because you are convinced that the Church is wrong and you are right?

Don’t get caught up in whether or not it’s technically allowed or whether or not it’s “better” or “worse,” but focus on the fact that the Church teaches it is not wrong to stand and it is not wrong to receive in the hand. Are you willing to submit to the Church’s assessment of this matter?

If not, I’d say this could boil down to pride.

I would not make a scene at mass in order to get my way, that… to me… does seem prideful.

**Friend, I respectfully disagree with all you have posted above for the following reasons.

Were you aware that the Norm for the world wide RCC is still to receive our Blessed Lord and Savior on our tongue?

We are “standing” because in direct and deliberate disobedience by America’s Bishops [all who promoted this falsehood as a “mandate of Vatican II.”] Communion rails were ripped out and not included in new “Gathering Spaces; which is the official language for what we used to call churches, by America Bishops. It is NOT, nor was it ever a requirement of Vatican II.

Bishops either knew this or should have known this. Nor was this action pre-approved by Rome, nor was Romes Opinion even sought until AFTER it had become an already “common practice.” And this was but the first step in remaking the American RCC basic understanding of who and what we are. What our role is to be, and what God’s role is to be.

This practice changes fundamentally the theology of how we receive our Lord, and the intrinsic relationship we have with Him on a most personal basis. The results have been nothing shot of disastrous for the Church in America. The number of practicing Catholics has gone from about 73% to 23%, the number actually going to Confession even once a year, from about 70% to less than 10%. And these are just two dismal testimonies of the effects of no-longer being focused on God, but on ourselves.

One can see from the example of Pope Benedict that Rome has a clear and specific preference for receiving kneeling and on the tongue. Returning to a MORE GOD focused, less “we are THE church” focus which has like poison Ivy, spread rapidly and caused GREAT havoc and harm to Christ Church.

There is, short of Baptism, nothing a Catholic can do that is of GREATER significance than to receive our Blessed Lord, really Jesus Christ Himself, in a physical manner that gives clear visual evidence of what we are doing, whom we are receiving, and how very much we actually believe what we practice, in our minds and hearts.

Today NO Mass is very much “us centered” and far less God centered. Until that changes, we shall never see true growth again in the RCC in America.

How one chooses to receive their God, is the most important, and the most personal decision a Catholic can make. This decision is so important, that it should make based on what feels in their mind and heart, is the right thing to do.

One does a huge disservice by casting this in the light of “obedience to ones Bishop.” No I am not suggestion one should be deliberately, rather one MUST do what feels called by God to do.

Peter said, “as for me, I will obey my God” and so should we.

Respectfully yours in Christ

Pat

My neices (twins of 13yrs) got baptised last year and have just been confirmed last week.They completed a rigorous programme through our parish priest with the other candidates.At their confirmation they received their First Holy Communion.They were taught to receive on the hand.Their mother ,my sister receives on the tongue.Parish priest is a wonderful devout sincere Holy man.Do you feel this is wrong ?

=tbcrawford;5297368]My neices (twins of 13yrs) got baptised last year and have just been confirmed last week.They completed a rigorous programme through our parish priest with the other candidates.At their confirmation they received their First Holy Communion.They were taught to receive on the hand.Their mother ,my sister receives on the tongue.Parish priest is a wonderful devout sincere Holy man.Do you feel this is wrong ?

Is it wrong? NO!

Is it my personal preference NO!**

Everyone must have an informed conscience, and then follow it, as we will be judged both on what we know and what we should know.

The greater issue here id that those comming into the Church are NOT being taught the ENTIRE TRUTH, which is the God given responsibility of all those who propose to teach THE CATHOLIC FAITH. It is not our Church, it is not in the same manner of understanding “our” Faith. It is Gods Church and the Faith of the RCC.

Love and prayers,
Pat

What do you think should happen to people getting confirmed/preparation for First Holy Communion etc ?
God Bless you

=tbcrawford;5297708]What do you think should happen to people getting confirmed/preparation for First Holy Communion etc ?
God Bless you

**All Catholics Know. practice and live our faith.

Those who choose or are chosen by God to TEACH our Faith, must in addition, teach it FULLY without personal preference and prejudice entering in. Sadly this does not happen with the regularity, God no doubt expects.**

Love and prayers,

Pat

Then lets all pray for The Holy Spirit to guide our teachers of the faith so the young and new to the faith are taught well
God Bless

Thank you, Pat… for this excellent presentation of the facts. :thumbsup:

I will never forget a very sad incident that happened to me, early on… after a 10 year “hiatus” from the Catholic Church. In fact… it was this painful incident which made me seek out and find “Catholic Answers”.

I had been back in the Church under a year. We were at Mass… I believe it was either a daily Mass… or it could have been a Saturday evening Mass. I don’t remember for sure. What I DO remember is this. At Communion time… I approached the altar with my mother in her wheelchair. I felt compelled to kneel for Holy Communion.

When I did this… the Pastor (who has now moved on to another parish) reprimanded me loudly and publicly for kneeling… and instructed me to “see him” after Mass. I returned to my seat… shaking and choking back tears. Through the grace of God… I decided that obedience to my Pastor would be the right thing. I spoke to him on the way out, concealing my hurt and confusion… I stated simply “I will remember, Father”. And never again, in the presence of this priest… did I receive kneeling. I felt that perhaps Our Lord might have used this incident to test my obedience.

Nevertheless, my heart was truly broken and I sent many tears and prayers up to God, in the months following.

When the former Pastor was reassigned… we were graced with a new Pastor who is extremely good, pastorally… and very devoted (not only to his flock, but…) to Our Lord in the Most Blessed Sacrament and Our Blessed Mother.

Sorry for rambling on. But your post brought the memory back. I pray that Communion rails in our Churches will be reinstated… and that the faithful will not be censured for receiving our Creator in a kneeling posture and on the tongue.

God bless.

I’m all for doing something that shows more reverence to God, certainly, and we do seem to be in dire need of it.

Just as you talk about showing reverence with our posture though, I think that the person stubborn to receive his way was showing pride by lack of obedience. I do agree that anything like reprimanding one for trying to receive in a respectful way doesn’t seem right either.

If it comes down to preference, I’d rather not receive on the hand (and don’t like seeing a general lack of reverence), but I receive anyway because it’s right. Here in Mexico we all must receive on the hand for the time being for health reasons, so we accept this change.

I agree that we should pray that the young AND the old alike are taught better about the faith. This new experience has shown me that a lot of people seem to have no idea what’s being put in their hands or how precious His body is.

*P.S. you seem to be missing a “/” right before the last green “B]” in your signature in case you want to fix that. :wink:

=MarieVeronica;5297982]Thank you, Pat… for this excellent presentation of the facts. :thumbsup:

I will never forget a very sad incident that happened to me, early on… after a 10 year “hiatus” from the Catholic Church. In fact… it was this painful incident which made me seek out and find “Catholic Answers”.

I had been back in the Church under a year. We were at Mass… I believe it was either a daily Mass… or it could have been a Saturday evening Mass. I don’t remember for sure. What I DO remember is this. At Communion time… I approached the altar with my mother in her wheelchair. I felt compelled to kneel for Holy Communion.

When I did this… the Pastor (who has now moved on to another parish) reprimanded me loudly and publicly for kneeling… and instructed me to “see him” after Mass. I returned to my seat… shaking and choking back tears. Through the grace of God… I decided that obedience to my Pastor would be the right thing. I spoke to him on the way out, concealing my hurt and confusion… I stated simply “I will remember, Father”. And never again, in the presence of this priest… did I receive kneeling. I felt that perhaps Our Lord might have used this incident to test my obedience.

Nevertheless, my heart was truly broken and I sent many tears and prayers up to God, in the months following.

When the former Pastor was reassigned… we were graced with a new Pastor who is extremely good, pastorally… and very devoted (not only to his flock, but…) to Our Lord in the Most Blessed Sacrament and Our Blessed Mother.

Sorry for rambling on. But your post brought the memory back. I pray that Communion rails in our Churches will be reinstated… and that the faithful will not be censured for receiving our Creator in a kneeling posture and on the tongue.

God bless.

I am simply amazed at priest and Bishops that expect laity to do what they temselves find to be opitional. Obey our Pope!

God bless you friend,
Pat

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.