Does religion lead to conflict?

The reason I ask this is because I need help from the great people of CA once again.I have started a discussion with someone in another forum. This person claims that religion is warped in that it promotes conflict amongst people. The evidence he provides is that there is more than one religion and that they all claim that they are the truth. This has led to many wars among families and nations throughout history. He pointed out the spanish inquisition as evidence for this. He also claims that the " if everyone believes in him the world will be a better place" logic is twisted.

I was at a loss as to how to answer to him or her. I told him that religion (christianity) promotes unity. But other than that, I have no Idea what else to say. So please help me out.

God Bless.

Hello,

So does ethnicity, so what. Man will find excuses to kill his fellow man if he wants to. To those who want others dead, I guess religion is as good of a scapegoat as any. But religion (at least Christianity) doesn’t promote or encourage violence.

Jesus thought so.

Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

(Mt. 10:34-39)

Some will accept the truth and others will reject the truth. This causes a conflict. This does not mean that the truth is not true.

It’s a cop-out to ask the wrong questions.

The question is not: Does it not lead to conflict? Is it convenient? Is it practical? Is it easy?

The question is: Is Christianity true?

Who knows, maybe people would fight more if they didn’t have the moderating influence of religion to restrain them.

99.99999999% of violent acts in the history of the world having nothing to do with religion. They have to do with one person or community desiring something that belongs to another individual or community or to prevent that other person or community from acquirng something–or in defense of those things. Just check the police blotters on violent crime–also check out the history of every war that has ever happened.

Even those conflicts with a religious pretext always have to do with gaining or protecting political power and territory/resources.

I am a Catholic. My wife, 3 kids, and in-laws are Baptists. And I can attest to the fact that religion brings perfect unity. After all, we’re all part of the body of Christ, aren’t we?!

Hooooo, hooo, ha, ha, ha, heeee, heee… Oh man… my eyes are watering! That was a good one, eh?!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.