Does Satan think he can win?

Does Satan truley think he can “beat” God?" Or does he just like causing trouble?

He is a soul snatcher, and he will never beat God. Whether
or not the soul thief thinks he can win, I don’t know. The
main thing is, God always triumphs. I always put my trust
and faith in Him, and try to pray for as many souls as possible,
the whole world.

IMHO Satan knows he has already lost, he just want as many people as possible to suffer eternal damnation with him and the other evil spirits.

I know that Satan can’t beat God in the long run, and I’m just a person. He, being an angel, would surely know that then.

However, Satan can make the ‘best of a bad situation’ and win battles even though he can’t win the war. He will try to take as many souls as he can. So it’s still worth fighting every individual battle for every individual soul even though we are assured of overall victory in the long run. What does a soul suffering in hell care about Christ’s final victory? They’ll still be suffering for eternity anyway.

Rev 12:12
Therefore rejoice, [ye] heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

The Devil knows he has little time, and out of spite will try to cause as many of us to suffer his same fate. Perhaps he hates us because God loves us and still offers us salvation?

Another interesting question is, could Lucifer repent and be saved?

No. Angels cannot repent. It’s not in their nature to change their minds.

[quote=dkward2]Rev 12:12
Therefore rejoice, [ye] heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

The Devil knows he has little time, and out of spite will try to cause as many of us to suffer his same fate. Perhaps he hates us because God loves us and still offers us salvation?

Another interesting question is, could Lucifer repent and be saved?
[/quote]

I think he could, yet there would be A LOT of history that would need to be changed.

In Eastern Christianity, my pastor tell us that it is possible but I never understood the answer he gave me. I’ll have to ask him again.

[quote=FuzzyBunny116]Does Satan truley think he can “beat” God?" Or does he just like causing trouble?
[/quote]

He knows his fate already. He’s just trying to take down as many of us as he can to retaliate against God’s judgement.

[quote=trumpet152]No. Angels cannot repent. It’s not in their nature to change their minds.
[/quote]

Not change their minds? What about the rebellion of Lucifier and his guys then?

From the Catechism:

[FONT=Verdana]391 Behind the disobedient choice of our first parents lurks a seductive voice, opposed to God, which makes them fall into death out of envy. Scripture and the Church’s Tradition see in this being a fallen angel, called “Satan” or the “devil.” The Church teaches that Satan was at first a good angel, made by God: “The devil and the other demons were indeed created naturally good by God, but they became evil by their own doing.”

392 Scripture speaks of a sin of these angels. This “fall” consists in the free choice of these created spirits, who radically and irrevocably rejected God and his reign. We find a reflection of that rebellion in the tempter’s words to our first parents: “You will be like God.” The devil “has sinned from the beginning”; he is “a liar and the father of lies.”

393 It is the irrevocable character of their choice, and not a defect in the infinite divine mercy, that makes the angels’ sin unforgivable. “There is no repentance for the angels after their fall, just as there is no repentance for men after death.”

[/FONT]

[quote=trumpet152]No. Angels cannot repent. It’s not in their nature to change their minds.
[/quote]

Why can’t angels change thier minds. In the beginning, were not all angels in Heaven praising God? Obviously some of them changed their minds, such as Lucifier. Isn’t that why God sent them to the hell because they rebelled against Him. To me that is an obvious change of mind. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

Mark

I’m not sure if he thinks he can win really. Maybe he can. I think he is having a good time though.

I went on a retreat last year on Angels & Demons. The angels have innate knowledge, meaning that knowledge was put into their heads when they were created, and were fully aware of the consequences of their choice before the fall. They knew that their choice was final, they would be in Hell for eternity, and that they could not/would not defeat God.

[quote=MTH]Isn’t that why God sent them to the hell because they rebelled against Him
[/quote]

I think you are mostly right, except this. God sent them to earth, not hell (Rev 12:12).

[quote=MTH]Why can’t angels change thier minds. In the beginning, were not all angels in Heaven praising God? Obviously some of them changed their minds, such as Lucifier. Isn’t that why God sent them to the hell because they rebelled against Him. To me that is an obvious change of mind. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

Mark
[/quote]

As the Catechism quote above indicates there was a certain point in time when the angels were required to make a definitive choice for or against God – much like Adam and Eve were. It was on the basis of this choice they were judged. Unlike human beings who are sometimes swayed by physical influences (and since the Fall, the effects of Original Sin), angels, being pure spirits, have perfect knowledge and unimpeded reasoning abilities and are immediately and completely culpable for all their choices.

There’s also a time and space angle to this. Time means nothing to eternal beings. Everything just is. Satan chose evil. There’s not “time” for him to change his mind. Does that make sense? It’s kind of hard to think in those terms as we do mark time so we don’t really have a point of reference to understand an existence without time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.