Does scripture alone teach that Jesus loves us?

I was wondering if there is a direct scriptural quote saying Jesus loves us? Many times I hear our Protestant brothers and sisters say its not in scripture so we cannot believe it. An example is the Church of Christ not celebrating feast days like Easter, Christmas or birthdays because it lacks direct scripture reference, but scripture reveals Jesus celebrating feast days like Passover and the feast of lights.

When do our Protestant brothers and sisters determine that it must be directly or indirectly in scripture in order to believe it? :confused:

Example:
Directly - Resurrection
Indirectly - Trinity

I look forward to your responses.

God :blessyou:

[quote=johnq]Many times I hear our Protestant brothers and sisters say its not in scripture so we cannot believe it.

I look forward to your responses.

God :blessyou:
[/quote]

Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours.” 2 Thessalonians 2:15.

So your Protestant friends deny that Jesus/God loves them? Is that what you are saying?

Not one single verse would do to answer this question but rather, “every word from God”. In the Old Testament we see a loving God who chooses to take to himself a particular nation, the Hebrews/Jews and, out of love for them he delivers them from Egypt. They, in turn take God as their one, true God, and both parties seal the pact with a Covenant that will last for all time and Moses comes down the mountain with the Decalogue (10 Commandments).

The Jews soon lose focus. They get into bad habits, worship false Gods. The country is destroyed, the people enslaved more than once. The Prophets speak Truth to power in love. They remind the rulers and the people of what happens when they stray from God. But God Himself never givesd up on his people. Finally, as we read in the Gospels, He sends Himself to dwell among us in the form of His Son, Jesus.

The sacrifice of Christ on the Cross, together with his bestowal of the gift of the Holy Spirit and the mission he gave to the Apostles to “go, make disciples of all the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.” (Mathew 28:19) indicates a greater love than we can comprehend. Truly awesome is God’s love for us, his creatures

" Know that the Lord is God
It is he that made us, and we are his;
we are His people, and the
sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise.
Give thanks to Him, bless His name.

For the Lord is good:
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.
Psalm 100: 3-5

How about John 13:34 “A new commandment I give unto you: That you love one another, as I have loved you, that you also love one another.”

Also John 15:9 “As the Father hath loved me, I also have loved you. Abide in my love.”

Also John 15:12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you.”

Chesster :tiphat:

Thanks you did answer my question. I could not think of any verses like the ones you quoted from John. Funny part is that those are the verses I quote the most.

To answer your question, none of my Protestant friends deny that Jesus/God loves them, I didn’t mean to imply that they did.

John 15:9** As the Father hath loved me, I also have loved you. 10 If you keep my commandments, you shall abide in my love; as I also have kept my Father’s commandments, and do abide in his love.

11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and your joy may be filled. 12 This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you. 13 Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends.** 14 You are my friends, if you do the things that I command you. 15 I will not now call you servants: for the servant knoweth not what his lord doth. But I have called you friends: because all things whatsoever I have heard of my Father, I have made known to you. (Emphasis mine)

I think they have been reading their Bibles with some very serious problems if they missed this.

John 11:35 **And Jesus wept. 36 The Jews therefore said: Behold how he loved him. **

The love of Jesus is pretty clear and I’d suppose that their error is more in that they have been taught wrong from the pulpit. Some preachers like to use OT passages about God being angry with the wicked every day and hating sinners. This is out of context of the whole of scripture.
Pax tecum,

Jesus loves me, this I know,
for the Bible tells me so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.