Does St. Peter still hold the keys to heaven?

Is Saint Peter at the pearly gates holding the keys to the kingdom of heaven? And do we have to go through him to get there?

Mathew 16:19. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

There is no literal key to heaven which someone can hold. Jesus is talking about the chair of St Peter and the authority given to him (St Peter and his successors).

No. we go though Jesus to get into Heaven, not St. Peter.

The keys belong to the Popes. St. Peter didn’t take the keys with him to Heaven.

The idea that St. Peter is standing at the Gates in Heaven is simply figurative literature. It’s not Catholic dogma that St. Peter is in Heaven, literally guarding the gates.

God Bless

Nahhhh, the got a retinal scanner now! :slight_smile:

The keys are a symbol of the office.

What ever we are taught is what we are to believe.

But we can all fuction in the 9 ministry keys to the kingdom 1 cor. 12

Utube john Paul Jackson teaches on the mystery of the keys.

This is how you can access the kingdom and the keys.

Word of knowledge - fr.pardon pieo- used this one
Word of wisdom. Etc etc

Being prophetic- edification exoration and comfort

Keys of healing etc

You can loose the power of the kingdom. Or not

If you believe he has lost then, you can always pray for St. Anthony’s help.
He finds lots of lost keys :smiley:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist…

:thumbsup:

Biblically, Morally and Biblically: YES!

READ Mt 10: 1-8 and then Mt 28:18-20

**It is Christ Himself who by absolute necessity to make POSSIBLE Christ NEW command…“YOU GO! [direct and exclusive] TO THE ENTIRE WORLD”; changing His eariler command to cf: GO ONLY to the house of Israel. **

Both command from our GOD are direct and exclusive to Peter & His successors through the ONLY Church desired and actually founded by Jesus [Mt 16:18]:thumbsup:

Thanks for asking

GBY

Patrick

We have to go through both Christ and Saint Peter to get into heaven?..right?

So, Saint Peter no longer holds the keys to heaven? But, the reigning Pope does? This sounds selfish. That only the Catholic Pope would hold the keys (chair) to heaven. Is there anything in the book of Catechism that mentions this?

Originally Posted by USMC_Convert View Post
There is no literal key to heaven which someone can hold. Jesus is talking about the chair of St Peter and the authority given to him (St Peter and his successors). end quote

FROM OUR CATHOLIC CATECHISM

553 Jesus entrusted a specific authority to Peter: “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” The “power of the keys” designates authority to govern the house of God, which is the Church. Jesus, the Good Shepherd, confirmed this mandate after his Resurrection: “Feed my sheep.” The power to “bind and loose” connotes the authority to absolve sins, to pronounce doctrinal judgments, and to make disciplinary decisions in the Church. Jesus entrusted this authority to the Church through the ministry of the apostles and in particular through the ministry of Peter, the only one to whom he specifically entrusted the keys of the kingdom

936 The Lord made St. Peter the visible foundation of his Church. He entrusted the keys of the Church to him. The bishop of the Church of Rome, successor to St. Peter, is “head of the college of bishops, the Vicar of Christ and Pastor of the universal Church on earth” (CIC, can. 331). [Code on Canon Law]

881 The Lord made Simon alone, whom he named Peter, the “rock” of his Church. He gave him the keys of his Church and instituted him shepherd of the whole flock. “The office of binding and loosing which was given to Peter was also assigned to the college of apostles united to its head.” This pastoral office of Peter and the other apostles belongs to the Church’s very foundation and is continued by the bishops under the primacy of the Pope.

979 In this battle against our inclination towards evil, who could be brave and watchful enough to escape every wound of sin? “If the Church has the power to forgive sins, then Baptism cannot be her only means of using the keys of the Kingdom of heaven received from Jesus Christ. The Church must be able to forgive all penitents their offenses, even if they should sin until the last moment of their lives.”

981 After his Resurrection, Christ sent his apostles “so that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be preached in his name to all nations.” The apostles and their successors carry out this “ministry of reconciliation,” not only by announcing to men God’s forgiveness merited for us by Christ, and calling them to conversion and faith; but also by communicating to them the forgiveness of sins in Baptism, and reconciling them with God and with the Church through the power of the keys, received from Christ:

[The Church] has received the keys of the Kingdom of heaven so that, in her, sins may be forgiven through Christ’s blood and the Holy Spirit’s action. In this Church, the soul dead through sin comes back to life in order to live with Christ, whose grace has saved us.

So YES:) The Catechism has much to share on the issue of "[ALL] of the Key’s

GBY

Go tell Jesus, He said it, not me…

Thank you for answering my question.

Well, blame Jesus then. The passage in Mt. 16 correlating passage in the OT is Is. 22. The keys are not so much given to a person, as to an office. The Church recognizes that office as the papacy. So yes, the current Pope, and only he, can and does wield the keys.

From Scott Hahn:

Let me go back and try to simplify this even further. I’ll read the quote. Albright says, “In commenting upon Matthew 16 and Jesus giving to Peter the keys of the kingdom, Isaiah 22:15 and following undoubtedly lies behind this saying.” Albright, a Protestant, non- Catholic insists that it’s undoubtable that Jesus is citing Isaiah 22, “The keys are the symbol of authority and DeVoe rightly sees here the same authority as that vested in the vicar, the master of the house, the chamberlain of the royal household of ancient Israel.” In other words, the Prime Minister’s office.

Other Protestant scholars admit it too, that when Jesus gives to Peter the keys of the kingdom, Peter is receiving the Prime Minister’s office, which means dynastic authority from the Son of David, Jesus, the King of Israel, but also an office where there will be dynastic succession.…He goes on to say some other things. “It is of considerable importance,” Albright says, “that in other contexts, when the disciplinary affairs of the community are discussed, the symbol of the keys is absent, since the saying applies in these instances to a wider circle. The role of Peter as steward of the kingdom is further explained as being the exercise of administrative authority as was the case of the Old Testament chamberlain who held the keys.”

Now, what he means there is that nowhere else, when other Apostles are exercising Church authority are the keys ever mentioned. In Matthew 18, the Apostles get the power to bind and loose, like Peter got in Matthew 16, but with absolutely no mention of the keys. That fits perfectly into this model because in the king’s cabinet, all the ministers can bind and loose, but the Prime Minister who holds the keys can bind what they have loosed or loose what they have bound. He has, in a sense, the final say. He has, in himself, the authority of the court of final appeal and even Protestants can see this.

In fact, I found this quotation in Martin Luther from 1530, years after he had left the Church, “Why are you searching heavenward in search of my keys? Do you not understand, Jesus said, ‘I gave them to Peter. They are indeed the keys of heaven, but they are not found in heaven for I left them on earth.’” This is Jesus talking, "'Peter’s mouth is my mouth, his tongue is my key case, his keys are my keys. They are an office.’" Luther even saw it, “‘They are a power, a command given by God through Christ to all of Christendom for the retaining and remitting of the sins of men.’”

Duane 1966, thank you for your input.

YW

NO:D

Saint Peter & successors the RCC} steps in for and behalf of Christ.

Theologically as you seem to imply here they would be is a sense interchangeable. In a manner of speaking they are :the same" {ALTER CHRISTI}

GBY.

Well played:clapping:

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.