Does the bible predict global warming will destroy the earth ...producing gold streets?

2 Peter 3:10 says…

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.

The current global warming situation could be too late to stop and we are headed for a runaway-train effect where the earth will heat up out of control. Eventually, this would cause the sea to be vaporized off the face of the earth. Revelation 21 talks about a new earth which no longer has the sea in it:

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

Revelation 21:1

If the elements are burned up as Peter said, this would expose the underlying layer of the earths crust containing the main gold layer deposits. This would mean the new Jerusalem could come down straight on top of the now exposed gold layers of the earths crust meaning the streets of the new Jerusalem would be literally paved with gold:

*The main street of the city was pure gold, as pure as transparent glass. *

Revelation 21:21

The literal translation of “main street” above is “the broad place” …which some suggests means all the vacant space that was not occupied with buildings was of pure gold. The molten gold would solidify into a perfectly flat plane (molton gold, like water, finds its own level) making it as flat and shiny as glass.

Just a thought.

I don’t think so.

First off, Scripture states that there will still be human life alive on the earth at the end, however, in an overheated world where the ocean has boiled the human body cannot live.

Also, there is no layer of gold subjacent to the crust.

ICXC NIKA

I’m not trying to be mean here but, there is just so much wrong with this, I don’t know where to start.

#1: Despite popular proclamations, the doomsday Climate change scenario is far from a foregone conclusion. There is also no way it could “evaporate the world’s oceans.” The atmosphere couldn’t sustain that level of moisture.

#2: There are not just layers of gold sitting beneath the surface. Gold exists in veins, and has to be mined out and smelted down to look like gold as we know it. It also only exists in a handful of places across this world, which is part of what makes it a precious metal; its fairly rare.

#3: There is not enough gold in the earth’s crust to cover the Earth with gold.

I think you are trying far, far too hard to create connections where none exist.

The Bible is rather obscure concerning g the events of the end of the world. Some of the events it describes are open to multiple interpretation, such as the nature of the anti-Christ. Perhaps it will be a single man or maybe an institution. Perhaps it will be a country or some ideology. The Church has no official view concerning this. The one thing I can tell you is that the colorful dispensationalist view of the end of the world held by many Evangelicals is wrong. The view that things such as Global Warming will destroy the world and bring God’s judgement sounds like a dispensationalist interpretation of Revelation. The Book of Revelation has little to do with the end of the world and rather has more to do with the situation Christians were in at the time of its composition. It was meant to give Christians hope in a time of persecution.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.