Does the Catholic Church believe we are in the end times?

I am curious what The Church thinks about what all is going on in society today (all over the world). Morality has all but disappeared, people go to church less and less, and many do not know Christ at all. The virtual natural disasters are becoming more and more frequent, and more deadly.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a Christian and do know where I am going when I die, and actually can’t wait to get to Heaven. Yet, I wish to help others understand how important it is to live a Christian moral life now because there might not be a tomorrow.

I would just like to know the position the Church has on this subject.

Thank you, and God bless!

KMC

The most official Catholic teaching on the end times can be found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraphs 668-682.

The most relevant Biblical verse for the end times is:

But of that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone… Therefore, stay awake! For you do not know on which day your Lord will come.
-Matthew 24: 36,42

There have always been people who think we are currently in the end times. The world has seen slavery, brutality, world wars, persecutions, massacres, genocides, etc. countless times throughout the centuries and millenniums. At different times in human history things have been better than they are now and they have been worse than they are now.

The key is not to worry about the end of the world, but rather worry about our personal salvation and everything else won’t matter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.