Does the Church Believe Magic Exists?

My friend and I are in disagreement. I believe that the Church believes in magic, while he says that the demons only use the idea of magic to ensnare souls.

Which of us is right?

The church believes in miracles, not magic. Magic is just slight of hand.

Really? I read a book on exorcism implying that is real (and dark, of course).

From the CCC:

**2117 **All practices of *magic *or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. *Spiritism *often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

I used to practice magic. Had to order the tricks from a magic supply house. It’s amazingly easy. But, that has nothing to do with the occult. I wouldn’t touch a oujia board with a 10 ft pole.

Both of you might be right, sort of.

If you are proposing that there is a third source of supernatural activity, then your friend is right. Since there is no third source of supernatural activity then by process of elimination, any supernatural activity not specifically related to the Church, must be demon related.

Peace,
+N

If the Church forbids its practice, one must conclude that the Church believes it exists. This list does not include the so-called magic based on slight-of-hand and illusion used to entertain; only that magic made possible by dabbling with infernal powers.

There’s a difference between believing,or knowing,that there are spirits that can be called upon to work magic,and believing in those spirits in the sense of putting one’s faith in them.

I, of course, feel awful about it now, but in college I used to hang out with some people who lived next to a 300 or so year old cemetery. We’d get, um, intoxicated and go play Ouija board on tombstones. Thankfully nothing ever happened but I feel so horrible for profaning holy ground like that.:frowning:

I also don’t understand why one of the local priests allowed us to conduct our fraternity initiation rituals in the church…but that’s another thread.:frowning:

“Magic or sorcery” is what we call certain anthropological practices. We know, for a fact, that plenty of people “cast spells” and do other such things.

Now, that is not to say that magic “works”. Almost certainly, the actions they perform have no efficacious power in themselves, so they do not “work”.

However, Jesus, Truth Himself, said that demons are real, and do real things. Demons are deceivers.

One real thing they may do is to make it look as if magic “works”, and gives humans the powers of a little God. They may voluntarily appear to serve humans, make contracts with humans, or be overpowered by spells, simply to toy with such would-be sorcerors and harm their souls. It’s the same sort of way they try to fool other humans into believing in false gods or false psychic powers, or just false ideas about life.

Magic and divination has always been forbidden, both by the Jews and the Church, under the same reasoning as idolatry. Occasionally you see some sort of confusion about occult practices where people claim they are ordinary ways of seeking knowledge or prayer to God; contrariwise, you see people taking perfectly good prayer practices and turning them into stupid magical spell stuff.

Basically, though, we have no business fiddling around with anything seriously claiming to be real and efficacious magic.

church is Christendom

Huh?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.