Does the Church recommend to tithe

In my parish bulletin they are asking for more money. They are short thousands of dollars. They remind us that the Church recommends that each parishioner tithe 10% of their income.

Where does it say that the Church recommends tithing?

I do tithe; but was curious if this was correct. I thought parishes did this only as a guideline to giving treasure.

Bridget

It is my understanding that the Church asks us to give within our means. If it takes food off the table, then we should not give. I have heard that the church still uses 10% as a reasonable guideline. 5% to the church and 5% to other worthwhile charities. I dont remember where, but it might have been in the catechism. If I find it I’ll let you know

No, Catholics are not obliged to give 10% of their income to the Church, or even the parish.

Here’s a link to an “Ask An Apologist” answer, with the pertinent cites:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=13994

Thanks outinchgoburbs…I am aware of the 5th Precept. The bulletin letter is saying that the Church **recommends **that each parishioner tithe.

I was under the impression that an individual parish may use tithing as a guideline for giving of treasure. I know we are not obliged to tithe…But they are telling us that the **Church recommends **that we do it. I don’t know that that’s even correct for them to say that.
Hope I’ve made myself clear. :slight_smile:

If you do a search on CAF, you will find more “Ask An Apologist” answers (an advanced search) that will tell that no, they are not correct in saying that. The Church (the whole shootin’ match, not just the parish church) does not recommend 10%. Each diocese usually has its own guidelines, but Old Testament tithing does not bind Catholics. You can also search This Rock magazine for articles that will say what I just said.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.