Does the Church see obese people as sinning

Under the Articles of the 5th Commandment 2290 Respect for health and body, the Church we are to avoid every type of excess including food, tobacco, and medicine. Does that mean people that are obese sinners for being so over weight?:shrug:

No. The Church is teaching against the sin of gluttony. There are many reasons for a person to be overweight, eating too much is only one of them.

I don’t know. But if we’re to avoid every type of excess, I can think of certain types of postings that some people do far too much of.

I admit that I have wondered at Chesterton and how he could have been so holy if he was so clearly attached to food as he looked.

you are making some horrible assumptions that people are overweight due to overeating. That simply is not true at all. There are many reasons as there are obese people. The better thing is to look at others with compassion instead of a judgemental attitude which most likely prompted this type of question to begin with.

As others have stated, there are many reasons that lead to obesity and over-eating is just one of the many. As such, the Church does not condemn obese people as sinning because of their weight, no. Gluttony, yes. Obesity, no.

Yes I am obese, but through no fault of my own. In my case it is heredity. Both sets of grandparents were over weight as was my Father. But my Mother had anorexia, she was embarresed by her overweight Mother, and by me as well.

I eat little, when I go to a buffet they make big profits from me LOL. I only drink one beer or glass of wine maybe twice a week if that. But I did overeat at one time before I had a stroke. Since then I have lost 80 pounds.

My anorexic mother died three years ago…from emphasema. She smoked like a train instead of eating she dug her grave with her lungs.

Something is very wrong with that philosophy and of course it is generated by the media who promotes wafer thin smoking models as good role models. It does not matter that they die from lung cancer or heart disease they are ‘cool’ and leave thin good looking corpses. :sad_yes::sad_yes::tsktsk:

There are many reasons to be overweight, for sure, but many of these reasons are the fact that one eats more calories than he burns. This was certainly the case for me. I am 5’10" and I weighed 245 pounds. Part of this was due to medication but the other part was due to a slow but steady ramp up of Epicurianism and really not caring how much I was eating, all in the selfish pursuit of self-pleasure. I broke that cycle on Pentecost last year and I lost over 30 pounds. I am still refining my practice and aiming to lose another 30+ pounds again. I would like to weigh 180 or under. It is only by the grace of God that I can find the self-discipline to deny myself pleasures such as the things I used to eat in the portions in which I used to eat them. For me it was definitely the sin of gluttony that was holding me back and ensuring a slow but steady pace toward liver disease and ultimately diabetes.

I pray that other people are likewise able to break this horrible cycle of self-abuse and self-neglect. The body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and we should all aim to treat it with the utmost respect possible. This is our call as Christians, and to do anything less would be to fall victim to the Evil One.

I am (probably) not obese. I’ve been around 180 most of my adult life, but last year I jumped up to about 200, and right now I’m around 215. And I’m pretty sure my newfound love for zebra cakes and chips with dip has something to do with it.

For me it’s just because I’ve gotten into bad habits of eating when I’m bored, or eating when I’m sad, and eating more and more portions at each meal. This is probably sinful, but I don’t think it’s gravely sinful, since I asked about this topic before, and was told that the Catechism says gluttony is only a grave sin if the only thing the person continues to live for is to eat and drink, which is not the case for me (although on really sad days, I could have been convinced otherwise).

No, you’re not automatically a sinner by being obese. People may have a hereditary tendency for being large. Some people may have a hormone problem. Some women may find it hard to lose weight after having children. Some medications cause people to gain weight. There are many reasons for obesity other than overeating.

Obesity is very likely a venially sinful lifestyle.

It’s interesting. Many people claim “heredity” for obesity, and ignore bad eating habits handed down. I know an obese man that was allowed family sized bags of doritos right after dinner as a kid. The reason his parents gave was “He likes them.” This boy grew up and had kids and had a son they gave a bottle to for whatever he cried about. By age 5 that kid was dragging around a family size bag of chips most of the day. When asked over the years about the bottle and chips, the parents cheerfully chimed, “He likes them!”. The boy weighed as much as a high schooler at age 5. It’s not “heredity” people. If you are obese you are eating too much of the WRONG stuff. Yes, I know…many have cut calories and it did not work. That is because you were still eating the wrong stuff.

This is a good question.

While obviously some have pointed out that there are other reasons for being obese, surly some people are obese because they eat to much. There is so much “junk science” on this and politics and feelings that I am not sure you can get a real answer. For the record I am a tad overweight. But even I know simple math, you cannot gain weight without consuming more calories than you burn.

Despite being very careful about what I eat (and I can’t drink alcohol due to allergies), I have not been able to lose weight over the last 15 years.

I was recently diagnosed with multiple IBS issues, including SIBO, and now know that there is often times an intestinal problem that causes some people to hold on to weight.

I strongly urge people who have weight issues to check to see if they have health issues contributing to the problem. It can be SIBO, gluten intolerance, etc. that can really mess with our weight.

Just by getting rid of the foods my body can’t digest I’ve dropped almost 20 lbs. (And believe me, I had tried every reputable diet known and couldn’t drop more than a few pounds).

I would venture to say no, as in being in the state of being overweight is not a sin. Perhaps the behaviors that have led lo such state might be… but, I would also presume that should be taken on a case by case basis.

In case you are still unclear - consider an obese or overweight individual that has been exercising and eating under their daily caloric needs in order to lose weight. Weight loss does not happen over night, obviously. Would you consider that person to be in sin just because they are overweight? Obviously they are not guilty of gluttony as they have been consuming LESS than what they need for their weight. What else might they be guilty of? Food for thought (pun intended). :o

To go along with this, would starting smoking be sinful?

Obesity cannot be a sin. Obesity is a state, not an action. To say that obesity is a sin is like saying that a woman’s pregnancy as a result of premarital sex is a sin. At worst, it is an indication of past sin, not a sin itself.

So to say that obesity is a sin is dangerously incorrect, because to do so would be to imply that sins cannot be forgiven----that the consequences of sin leave one in a perpetual state of sin and this is simply not the case.

That really makes you wonder? The Apostles sinned. The Saints sinned. Can you name anyone other than Jesus that did not sin? The responses to these types of threads make me wonder whether there are some among us that subconsciously consider themselves sinless, else what would be the point of separating those of us who have struggled with sins* other* than gluttony or sloth from those of our brothers and sisters that have struggled with those particular sins.

**It’s very glib and smug to paint everyone who is overweight with the same brush.

And if The Church sees obese people as sinning, then I guess
St. Thomas Aquinas and Pope St. John XX III are in hell eating with the devil.
( Those were just the first two that came to mind ).

Overweight and gluttony are not the same thing.**

Obesity cannot be a sin. Obesity is a state, not an action. To say that obesity is a sin is like saying that a woman’s pregnancy as a result of premarital sex is a sin. At worst, it is an indication of past sin, not a sin itself.

Good point!

So to say that obesity is a sin is dangerously incorrect, because to do so would be to imply that sins cannot be forgiven----that the consequences of sin leave one in a perpetual state of sin and this is simply not the case.

So we could say that either sin, or ignorance or lack of free will led to the obesity? Right?

Can you name anyone other than Jesus that did not sin? The responses to these types of threads make me wonder whether there are some among us that subconsciously consider themselves sinless, else what would be the point of separating those of us who have struggled with sins* other* than gluttony or sloth from those of our brothers and sisters that have struggled with those particular sins

And here is where we differ.

Can you name anyone other than Jesus that did not sin?

Mary. tradition also holds Joseph, John the Baptist, anyone under the age of reason…etc. There is quite a long list of sinless people. Many of them are saints.

The responses to these types of threads make me wonder whether there are some among us that subconsciously consider themselves sinless, else what would be the point of separating those of us who have struggled with sins* other* than gluttony or sloth from those of our brothers and sisters that have struggled with those particular sins

At any given point in my life I can indeed be sinless. I have been baptized to remove all sin actual and original, I have been to confession, frequently, and I have received absolution of venial sins by attending Mass, saying the rosary or going to adoration. So, yes, I am sinless. When that statement becomes false, I go to confession.
I do my best to obtain full indulgences when I can. I Trust the Church and My Lord when they teach about these things.

Actually now that you mention it there were a lot of overweight saints. Long before the US had the fat stigma, Italy practically had it covered. Not to mention the women in the Renaissance artwork.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.