Does the church teach us to worship statues/images?

Some non-Catholic Christian sects especially the Iglesia ni Cristo in the Philippines have accused us of worshipping statues because, according to them, that is precisely what our church leaders are teaching. They have been quite successful in pulling brothers and sisters from our Catholic faith by citing a book written by Cardinal James Gibbons “The Faith of our Fathers” wherein it says that the kind of worship we give to the image of Christ is like worshipping Christ Himself (or something to that effect - I haven’t really read the book and he would not show me a copy). He also cited something in the Cathechism wherein it says that we should kneel down in front of the cross and sacred images as soon as we get up in the morning.

Is there a basis for these accusations? How do I respond/refute these?

The following links should assist you in better understanding Iconoclasm. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]What is an example of idolatry?
*] Carving statues and Images
*] Where are statues and saints in the Bible?
*] Where does the New Testament allow for graven images?
*] Do Catholics Worship Statues?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.