Does the Church want a Crusade against SSM advocates?

On this forum, I’ve seen multiple people argue, from the Fourth Lateran Council, that the Crusade against the Albigensians was justified (although obviously improperly executed) because their ideas were threatening to the continued existence of the human race.

I don’t ask the following question lightly.

Does the Church believe that the same logic would justify a crusade against modern advocates of SSM, considering the threat it seems to pose to the Church?:eek:

A spiritual crusade. Our weapons are Fasting, Prayer & the corporal works of Mercy:thumbsup:

After reading the Catholic Encyclopedia’s take and then Wikipedia’s story on the Albigensians, I agree with the first response: This would be–and is–a spiritual crusade currently held by the Church.

Back in the days where Popes tried and failed to wield temporal powers to help the faithful, it seems that the Cathars “started it” with the murder of the papal envoy that tried diplomatic solutions. But, as war does, what was an attempt to reconcile or defend the faith became a personal bloody fight.

While the gay advocacy groups do not pull punches and do most anything to disparage the Church’s current ministries to stay true to the faith, sometimes outright provoking with physical violence or vandalism to incite a reaction that could be misconstrued, it’s important that the faithful take Christ’s command to “turn the other cheek” while using the other cheek and side of that mouth to continue to express our love and concern for our brothers and sisters with SSA and continue, without fail, to indicate that this behavior is of grave matter. Not all can be saved, but many might–if we hold to a peaceful way, an example that there are ordered ways to love while giving reproof to the disordered ways that the gay agenda tends to state as love by rallying through their hate.

In Christian context, the word “crusade” is more accurately defined as a counter-attack or miltary defense from a religious body, as was the first Crusades, and, to a lesser degree, the Cathars.

Excellent post. This.

:thumbsup:

And … activism of our own, education and resistance against the forces of immorality.

But a military Crusade isn’t even appropriate. The Crusades were about protecting the** faith**. The Church protects faith AND morals. The battle over SS"M" is a battle over morals more than faith.

Also, the Church has no army nor the ability to raise one.

It has already started…in 1917…Fatima:

PENANCE

Our Lady insisted at Fatima: “Men must amend their lives, and ask pardon for their sins. . . . They must no longer offend Our Lord, Who is already so much offended.” The Fatima message is a call for men to give up sinful practices which grieve God and draw down His chastisements on the world, and to make reparation for them. Commenting on Our Lady’s request for penance, Sr. Lucia wrote: "The part of the last apparition which has remained most deeply imprinted on my heart is the prayer of our heavenly Mother begging us not to offend any more Almighty God, Who is already so much offended."

“Many persons,” Sr. Lucia explained, “feeling that the word penance implies great austerities, and not feeling that they have the strength for great sacrifices, become discouraged and continue a life of lukewarmness and sin.” Then she said Our Lord explained to her: “The sacrifice required of every person is the fulfillment of his duties in life and the observance of My law. This is the penance that I now seek and require.”

PRAYER

Besides a call to penance** Fatima is in a special way a call for the Rosary. So central is the Rosary to the Fatima message that Our Lady chose to identify herself as “The Lady of the Rosary.”** In each of the six apparitions she asked for the daily Rosary, and especially as an instrument of world peace. As she revealed in the third apparition: "You must recite the Rosary every day in honor of Our Lady of the Rosary to obtain peace for the world and the end of the war for only she can obtain this." In this Our Lady renewed her request for the prayer she gave to the Church centuries before, a prayer that has proven a powerful weapon against the enemies of Christianity as history testifies.

After repeatedly asking for the daily Rosary, and identifying herself as “The Lady of the Rosary,” the Blessed Mother terminated the final apparition by showing the children three separate tableaux symbolizing the entire message of the Rosary.** "The first was a vision of the Holy family - representing the joyful mysteries;** the second a vision of Our Lady of Sorrows - representing the sorrowful mysteries; and the third a vision of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel - representing the glorious mysteries.

The Rosary may seem like an insignificant thing in the light of the magnitude of the evils of today’s world, but it is the weapon given to us by Our Lady.** She merely asks our cooperation, and she will do the rest.** It is like the slingshot of David that killed the mighty enemy because the power of God was behind it. Thus, as the saying goes, he who prays the Rosary has the power of God in his hand.

DEVOTION TO THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY

In the second apparition the following year (June 13) Our Lady let the children know that “Jesus wishes to establish throughout the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart.” Several times in the June and July apparitions Our Lady spoke of this devotion, as we shall see; and soon there began to burn in their hearts (especially Jacinta’s) a deep love for the Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

Then Our Lady made known her request for Communions of reparation: "My daughter, look at my Heart encircled with the thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. Do you at least try to console me and announce in my name that I promise to assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months, go to Confession and receive Holy Communion, recite the Rosary and keep me company for 15 minutes while meditating on the mysteries of the Rosary with the intention of making reparation to me."

rosary-center.org/fatimams.htm

Bottom Line:

“In your writing,” Sr. Lucia said to Father, "please stress the spiritual meaning of things, in order to raise minds which today have become so materialistic to regions of the supernatural; so that they may understand the true meaning and purpose of the coming of Our Lady to earth, which is to bring souls to Heaven, to draw them to God."

As Msgr. William McGrath has pointed out:

When all is said and done, our primary responsibility is not the conversion of Russia or the prevention of world wars, but the salvation of that little world within ourselves over which, with God’s help, we must exercise control, and for which we shall one day have to render an account to God in judgment. What will it profit us, even if Russia is converted and an era of peace be granted to humanity, if we have failed in the great task for which we were created, the salvation of our own immortal souls.”
rosary-center.org/consecrt.htm#fatima

Pax Christi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.